Misc Stude Info from book

Guest TomB

I am going to post some excerpts from Studebaker: The Complete Story

by William Cannon and Fred Fox (1981) on this thread.

Because there are few color pictures extant anymore, I've posted the ones

from the book, even though they are illustrations........TomB

post-70885-143138344725_thumb.jpg

post-70885-14313834474_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138344756_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138344771_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138344786_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138344801_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138344816_thumb.jpg

post-70885-14313834483_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138344845_thumb.jpg

What follows, (over two posts), are tables of some info on various models and years.

What particularly caught my eye >>>> notations on where serial numbers were to be found!

I'd still be lookin' if it weren't for Stude8......

So, again I ask: where can I buy Hindsight !

Respects,

TomB

post-70885-143138344945_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138344952_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138344961_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138344971_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138344977_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138344982_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138344986_thumb.jpg

post-70885-14313834499_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138345004_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138345017_thumb.jpg

the last of the copied tables.

If anybody else prefers pdf (as I do), let me know and I'll ask my trained electrons to "transform them", so to speak..........

tb

post-70885-143138345031_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138345044_thumb.jpg

post-70885-14313834505_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138345055_thumb.jpg

.......... have posted the table of contents, below.

I'm going to pdf chap 17 (on the Dictators) for myself.

If any one wants a chapter copied let me know by post or pm.

This is a borrowed book and will be returned shortly >>>so,

don't be shy.

Tom

post-70885-143138345867_thumb.jpg

post-70885-143138345884_thumb.jpg

Guest jdanield

The Copyright law is here: U.S. Copyright Office - Copyright Law: Chapter 1

I'm going with this:

§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use40

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include*—*

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

jdd

This book is now thirty years old: out of print and could reasonably be called hard to find on it’s way to becoming rare.

The fact that it never had a second printing indicates how many of us there are, who are even interested.

Sadly, they are probably all here!

I have not a single qualm about putting irreplaceable factual information in the hands of those who benefit most, appreciate its value and are most likely to take good care of it.

Hopefully, by doing so, this information will be available to the next guy blindly looking.....

Respects,

TomB

.......You can find it here, B: The Big Six: 1918-1928

For what it's worth: the main reason it was a big deal, for me, to find a copy of this book was for The Dictator info. Truthfully, I am only researching my car now and had not really read the other chapters.

Getting info for club members has forced me to pay more attention

to the other models.

I have to say...........this is a pretty impressive little engine.

Respects

Tom

Tom

The running change info in Studebaker: The Complete Story appears to have been taken almost verbatim from This is a Studebaker Year vol. 6. Makes sense since William Cannon was involved with both.

Like studeq I have a 1928 chassis parts book originally issued Feb 15, 1928, with updates dated August 15, 1928. If anyone has an original body parts book, they would be willing to sell, I would be interested.

I also have an original service manual (Studebaker called it a Service Reference Library - it is 9separate books) covering Big 6/President, Special 6/Commander, Standard 6/Dictator 1925-27with running changes updates dated October 15, 1927. Studebaker always seems to have issued updates in the middle of trhe month. It also covers 1927 Erskines. Colour choices available are listed as well.

I also have two parts price books, one issued September 1928 by South Bend, the other June 1930 by Walkerville.

Tom, the engine is a tough, reliable unit. What happened to yours?

Terry

PS What condition is the wood in in your car? I need to replace the wood in my car and the wood between the cowl and centre door post is non existent in both the floor and the roof. Any help by anyone appreciated.

Packard32............sent u a pm

According to the site count 30 others have read it, so >> i dunno

I have uploaded again, here: STCS, Chap 9, PDF

If anybody else wants something, there's only a couple of days left.

I have been using a friends computer and office the last couple weeks, while he was away, and He's to be back this weekend.

Truth be told, I'm not even on the net. I'm just an old paranoid dinosaur.

So, in a few more days..........It'll be back to the public library terminals.

Man, I'm really gonna miss his computer.

Its got lots of bells and whistles !

Maybe, just maybe I should come into the new millennium.

Respects,

TomB

to dictator27

Terry, I figure you and I will be talking more as time goes on;

or, more correctly, I expect to be asking you a lot of questions!

So, I want you to know....

My friend, whose house I've been "sittin'" and whose office toys I've been usin' is coming back Sun. BUT, he said it's okay to use his mail box ( I have none).

Also, he's signed on to the site (as "jdanield"). He told me it was to help me know how to push what buttons but I really think it's to make sure I don't do anything stupid from his IP address!

Anyway, he's promised to check in and relay info, so there's two ways to get to me. If you want.

So, that being said....I appreciate the confirmation of my Cannon theory and the very fact of telling me about running changes at all. Saves an ambush!

I have spent A LOT of time looking for Dictator info, specifically, and pickin's are meager: so I am glad you mentioned your holdings.

My one remaining project is to collect some useful carb info. I have two different editions of Dyke's Automotive and a couple other restoration manuals but am still short info in Stromberg's T-1 &TX-2.

I will pdf and post what I find. If you have need for carb info, give me name and number and If I have, you'll get it.

As far as my car . . . I cant' say with certainty anything about the original 6.

The story I got was a rod through a cylinder wall and into the water jacket. From"fatigue" the story goes.

My theory is: someone simply didn't pick up on a tell-tale noise !!!!!!!

The "came-with the deal" ER 6 is frozen. So far, without tearing it apart, I can only tell you that the crank turns and stops. Don't know anything more yet.

Because there are SO MANY accessories I'm short I am placing a lot of hope on the yet to be seen engine and trans I am buying!

Now, about your wood problem.

My car has only 65-66,000 miles on it and the body is in very good shape.

I have no plans on really doing much to it or for it, body wise. Paint's good. Upholstery (mohair) is good.

I'm not 100 percent sure how bad, bad is for you, but will say this about that>>>>>>>>>>>

1. I love this stuff, though it is a real pain in the you know what to work with: Home Page

and here's a link where a guy demonstrates it:

Kwik Poly Wood Repair for Auto Restoration | Auto Restoration 101

2. as you know, better than I, this site and the older car sites hide the knowledge you seek....

3. below is a picture that might help us all understand a little better "where" you mean. I am assuming, before A-pillar. Yes?

post-70885-143138349698_thumb.jpg

Guest jdanield

Dear Mr dictator27

TomB wanted you to get theses and as I could not e-mail to you, have posted them here.

Perhaps, they will have a more widespread use...

jdanield,

TomB's computer connection

post-71138-143138352272_thumb.jpg

post-71138-143138352292_thumb.jpg

post-71138-143138352308_thumb.jpg

Thanks for passing things on from Tom, jdanield.

I forgot to mention previously that I also have an owners manual for my car. Studebaker apparently felt that there were still a lot of people buying new cars who needed instruction in how to drive them. It goes into considerable detail concerning the proper way to change gears, stating that the 1-2 shift should be made at 4 to 8 mph, and the 2-3 shift at 8 to 15 mph. The recommended 3-2 downshift speed is 8 mph as this removes the need to double clutch (as long as you move fast :) ), which is required at higher speeds.

The Dictator 6 is tough, but it is a slow speed engine, developing its maximum horsepower of 50 at just 2200 rpm. Torque figures don't exist, but looking at the recommended shift speeds, I think it is safe to say that maximum torque is developed at much lower rpms. Tom's idea that someone ignored a noise indicating an impending problem is plausible, possibly caused by downshifting at too high a speed.

As to the wood in my car, I have absolutely nothing between the A and B pillars in either the floor or the roof. (I vacuumed it up! :( ) The only thing supporting the body at the front was the steering column.

Terry