Boots are made for driving, but what?

Vintman

Hi Folks,

Had a bit of time off. If ever in Lisbon, Portugal, recommend well worth visiting "Museu Nacional dos Coches" for some mindblowing royal horse coaches of the 1700s. "Musea da Marinha" is the same for Royal water barges of the same period; 80 oarsmen ! Both are something unlikely to see elsewhere.

Would appreciate your help with the attached. Not enough showing for me to know where to start.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

post-58492-143138339731_thumb.jpg

I happened upon that carriage museum around 1979 while on liberty in the Navy during a stop at Lisbon. It is one of my most memorable memories ever. I had no idea how big those carriages were back in the 1700s! It was also rather creepy. Don't know why, but I really felt uneasy in there. I highly recommend it to anyone lucky enough to go to Lisbon. There are also some very cheap, good restaurants on some of the backstreets.

Hi Lief and Dave,

Thanks for the info. Had a bit more info on the photo. Lovely story: The man in uniform standing so proudly by his car was my father. I believe that picture was taken in his parents' back yard, in Terre Haute, Indiana, United States. My father graduated from high school in 1948, and got a job working in a printing plant. He joined the national guard when America became involved in the Korean conflict. The other photo is both of my parents on the day of their wedding. Neither pair of my grandparents were in agreement with my parents seeing each other, so they eloped with the help of my mother's sister and her husband. They were married in Brazil, Indiana, United States, a town about 15 miles east of Terre Haute, where I live now. My father died on 22 Oct., 2010, and my mother is in a nursing home in Brazil, IN. dying of Alzheimer's disease. Since I don't have any children, I have taken it upon myself to document as many photos as I can. It might seem to be a small detail now, but perhaps someone in the future will appreciate the information about one of their ancestors. Good on ya !!!

Hi Erndog, You missed a treat if you did not go to the Maritime Museum of royal barges. Thought that would have been mandatory for a navy man. Agree about the Restaurants. Great food and genuinely nice people.

Regards

Vintman.

I think I did go to the barge museum. There was some museum with a lot of boats close to the coach museum. I don't read Portugese, so I didn't know what I was looking at. As it was, I just happened upon these places while out for a walk.