Fluid Drive

Guest denham

TDH tractor fluid, ISO 32 grade from Walmart or farm stores, or auto parts stores. TDH stands for transmission, differential and hydraulic fluid. It's good for your transmission too.

The whole subject of operating and caring for the fluid drive transmission was covered in depth a year or 2 ago on this board. Search for Fluid Drive in the Chrysler and Dodge sections and you will find plenty to interest you.

Guest CaptainGTX

The manual calls for 10w non-detergent motor oil. If you have a Tractor Supply nearby you should be able to find it there. I bought a 2 gallon jug of it about a month ago. There are other sources, but its usually special order.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replies....Apparently, the transmission needs non-detergent 10W oil, but the torque converter uses hydraulic tractor fluid which I found at the local farm supply store. One suggestion for the transmission; drain old oil, remove and clean the filter screen which is at the rear of transmission. secured by two bolts.

Thanks for replies....Apparently, the transmission needs non-detergent 10W oil, but the torque converter uses hydraulic tractor fluid which I found at the local farm supply store. One suggestion for the transmission; drain old oil, remove and clean the filter screen which is at the rear of transmission. secured by two bolts.

Yup, this is the correct "Recipe" alright, glad it worked out for you.......

• 2 weeks later...

There is no "torque Converter"- Only on 1951 and later certain cars---Just a fluid coupling on 1950 and back cars. Also the round filter tube screen is only externally removable on the M5 1948 and back cars . M6 cars1949 and later you have to remove the rear extension housing to gain access to that filter screen. Normally it never needs servicing unless other trans work is required.

Bob

Edited by c49er (see edit history)