Battery tray?

64R

Me again with another goofy question about my 1964 Riv

My battery tray is the only rusty bit in the engine bay so I would like to pull it out and either replace it or fix it. As with everything with this car it's hard to figure out what's what? Where does this begin and end? Is the back part with the rusty hole the only part attached to the tray or is there more to it? It looks like it's bolted to the inner fender but there's more to it than that, is it attached from below as well?

DSC03940.jpg

I believe it's also tack welded in place. From the picture, I think that some of Eastwood's rust converter and rust encapsulator would be the way to go on this one. There is nothing aftermarket to replace it and have it look OE. Yours is better than a bunch of others I've seen.

Ed

I wouldn't be surprised if it is tacked in there as well Ed, seems to really be firmly in place. The tray isn't so bad but there's a hole in the vertical part near the bottom bolt near the tray. To finish it right I would have to remove it and weld it. I'll probably just coat it with Por 15 since I have it and worry about it later.

Thanks

Guest lemmy-67

I agree that your battery tray doesn't look too bad. The one in my 67 was rusted up pretty badly, but I was able to unbolt it & get it out. I wire-brushed it, hit it with the corroless rust-converter, then painted it with rubberized battery-tray coating. Still looks great after 10 years.

Yours should clean up pretty well. There are these acid-absorbing mats which can be placed under the battery that also keep your tray from getting eaten up.

I'll worry about the rust hole somewhere down the road, the battery will hide it anyway. I'll clean up and paint the tray and call it a day for now. I have a bad habit of spiralling out of control when I do something, I'm just rebuilding the engine for now, the rest can wait.

Thanks for the slap upside the head :D

Guest ahhh65riv

This is what I started with... so dont feel bad. It could be worse! I agree that is repairable! Take a wire wheel to it and hit it with the rust converter stuff and paint it with the coating of your choice.

And yes there are some spot welds that attach the actual tray (removed in the photo). Its attaches to the inner fenderwell.

Erik

post-61139-143138330439_thumb.jpg

Guest ahhh65riv
Ok Erik, you win, that's some pretty nasty rust you're dealing with, I've built a couple cars from that state, I don't envy you.

Don't feel sorry for me. Actually, that is the worst spot in the whole car as far as rust is concerned. It's been under cover for most of its life with an old Die Hard battery that leaked out. At some point, I'll attach "after" photos when I'm all done. There is a body mount right below, that's kind of a bugger though.

I'll be willing to bet most of these cars has some sort of corrosion in this area. It's just hidden and not seen for the most part.

Erik

I'm very lucky with this car, this is the only real rust anywhere. A couple tiny bits on the sheet metal is all there is other than the tray area. Given I live in the Pacific Northwest that amounts to a miracle :D

• 11 months later...

Hi Gents.

Just finished my battery tray restoration so I thought I'd add my 2-cents on the experience.

The rust on my tray was pretty decent to where the previous owner had tried to glue it all back together with fiberglass and polyester resin (found out these sins when I sand blasted the wheel tubs).

First, the tray is held in place with a crap load of spot welds to I abandoned the thought of removing the tray and just stuck with fixing what was rotten. Pretty much the front of the battery tray was where all the damage was (which effected the surrounding areas as well.

I marked up the area where i could make some clean cuts and started cutting. After removing the offending parts, I made a lot of measurements and made a cardboard template for the replacement parts. In total, three seperate pieces were made to complete the repair.

All parts were made of 17 gauge sheet metal which I was able to bend with a cheap ($50) bench top sheet metal brake bought from Summit Racing......worked pretty good but 17 ga. is definitely the limit for it.

After a bunch of dry fitting, grinding and placement, each piece was assemble and tacked in place. The welds inside the battery tray are rough because the battery tray was pretty well pitted so try to weld to it was ugly. The only way to accomplish this was to lay one tack on another and form a chain along the seam. Since it was going to be under the battery, I didn't bother with grinding it down and making it look pretty. When all was said and done, I sealed the deal with 2-coats of Chassis Saver. To get in all the crevisis, I bought some shoe dye daubers and tack welded them to a wire coat hanger.........got right inside and beneath the battery tray to seal it all up.

All in all it took about 8 - 9 hours to for this project (alot of work) but I as pretty happy with the results.......it's ashame I have to cover it with a fender, headlights and a battery!:D

post-71637-143138699716_thumb.jpg

post-71637-143138699731_thumb.jpg

post-71637-143138699746_thumb.jpg

post-71637-143138699763_thumb.jpg

post-71637-143138699778_thumb.jpg

post-71637-143138699792_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ahhh65riv

Looks fantaaaaastic! Nice work by the way.

I ended up buying a new (used in excellent shape) inner fender well. I guess that means I cheated?

Erik

Thanks, Eric.

As my Dad always said, "Work smarter, not harder".

If the funds are the budget, why not source a new part and save the time.

But when the tools and parts are in the garage.............and the labor is free......well.......what's a few Saturday afternoons tinkering in the garage! :D

• 3 years later...

Hi George,

Although mine is a '64, I don't think a battery tray is available as a separate unit. I assuming that the battery trays are about the same on all of the first generation Rivieras. I know that I've never seen one advertised.

On my '64 the battery tray is integrated into the inner fender well. The best way forward may be to sandblast and powder coat your inner fender well (if things are in good shape structurally), or to look for a replacement inner fender well if it is not salvageable.

I just had my inner fender wells sandblasted and powder coated and I am very happy with the outcome. I just finished installing them today.

Eric

Hi George,

I don't think a battery tray is available as a separate unit. I assuming that the battery trays are about the same on all of the first generation Rivieras. I know that I've never seen one advertised.

Eric

Eric thinks correctly. IF you do find an inner fender that has a good battery tray in it: 1) you'll be lucky, and 2) just make sure it's not for a '65. The entire inner fender for a '65 is different than it is for a '63/'64. If everything was reproduced, it would take all of the fun out of restoring a Riviera; you might as well look for a Camaro or a Mustang if that's what your aim is. :rolleyes:

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

If I were you, I'd be looking for inner fenders. The edges where they bolt to the other fender are nonexistent - I'm sure that I'm not telling you anything. So as long as you're looking, you might as well look for some with a good battery tray.

Ed

Ed, sure I was considering that already, but these are rather pricey for 65 (due to "one year only" compatibility - I believe), plus shipping to Europe will make it somewhere double expensive .... What I was able to find was something like $280 each (also not perfect condition) + shipping.

For that money we will try to fix what we have (Riviera restoring fun :-) ).

I will post the pictures.

George,

Sorry that I didn't follow the thread more closely. I thought the pictures that you posted were pictures of the car owned by the guy who started the original thread. Of course you're correct if you have to find something and have it shipped over seas.

Ed