F-85 Master Cylinder / wheel cylinders

Guest chirp

I have been searching the web and various retail outlets for replacement brake parts for my 1963 Olds F-85. All I can find are rebuild kits. I can't understand why I can't find these items complete and even better yet, new rather than rebuilt.

Do the master cylinder and wheel cylinders on my F-85 cross over to any other GM car model that would allow for an easier search and find? I remember reading a few years back that the '61 and 62 years crossed over to a model in the Buick line but, the '63 model had parts unique to itself. Things crossed back between models again in '64 and after. Tell me I am wrong...

I can't believe that these parts varied to any great degree within the GM line.

I spoke with a young man at a GM dealer today who said he can get me these parts for a 1965 F-85 and he guessed they would work on my '63. I don't know enough to have the confidence to say yes to this. The 65 master cylinder has a 1" bore diameter. Does anyone know what the bore diameters are for my '63 MC and wheel cylinders?

What do you all think??? What other issues should I be considering???

chirp

I can't understand why I can't find these items complete and even better yet, new rather than rebuilt.

It's because you're dealing with a nearly 50 year old car that does not have that big of an enthusiast base and uses these parts for only a couple of years.

I'd rather have a new brake part too but I know that sometimes rebuilt is my only option.

If you can find a knowledgeable NOS or NORS vendor who has accurate period catalogs, you can probably find the parts new.

All my parts books indicate that 62-63 F85 brake cylinders are different from 64-later.

The 1961-63 Olds F-85 and Buick Special are unique cars and virtually NOTHING crosses over to later models. As Glenn noted, these cars are not very popular with restorers and very few remain on the road, so parts availability is virtually nonexistent. Of course, this uniqueness is why I got my 62 F-85 wagon in the first place.

Your 63 has a number of one-year-only items (like the steering linkage) that don't even cross to the 61-62 cars. Kanter sells brake and steering parts for these cars, but expect to pay large dollars. Other than that, check ebay regularly. I scored a set of NOS rear brake shoes for cheap a while back.

You CAN get rebuild kits for the brake hydraulics at NAPA, however. The kit for my master cylinder was less than $20. Just don't expect them to have one on the shelf.

Hey, Thanks guys.

Your information is extremely helpful. I am counting on it saving me lots of time otherwise wasted surfing the web!

chirp

Hey, Thanks guys.

Your information is extremely helpful. I am counting on it saving me lots of time otherwise wasted surfing the web!

chirp

Rebuilding or having someone rebuild your parts is not a bad thing as long as the job is done properly. Look at it this way; Just recently I needed a water pump for my 76 Olds and it took a day for NAPA to get one. The new pump was made in China much to my disappointment, and the weep hole was 180 degrees off and the impeller looked cheap compared to the original........so I had my old pump rebuilt. The same car about two years ago needed a heater core and the same deal happened except the new part came from Mexico. I had the heater core rebuilt at a radiator shop.

Manufacturing is leaving this country at a alarming rate, just think of the jobs and product quality going away..... Just wait if cap & trade happens!

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

It has been thrown my way that I might want to consider a dual chamber cylinder replacement for safety purposes. Is it possible that someone viewing this has replaced the single chamber master cylinder in a 1963 F-85 with a dual cylinder? If so can you suggest the model / part number that is best for me to look into?

If no one has done this replacement specifically but is familiar with the process of replacing a single with a dual, can you suggest the important factors that I should be aware of should I attempt this?

It has been suggested that a 1967 Chevy Camaro might make a good replacement part. (autozone # NM-1505) The mounting seems similar in style but it doesn't come with the piston / seal parts. I would have to use the old ones from my single chamber. I am not sure that will work.

WHATEVER I DECIDE I WANT IT TO WORK!!!!

Looking for more help...happy to hear from you....thanks!

chirp

The common dual chamber MC used on the 61-63 cars is from a Ford Fairmont. The problem with most GM dual chamber MCs is that the brake lines come off the driver's side of the MC. On the 61-63 cars there is a diagonal stiffener on the inner fender that is right up against the MC. You can't run the lines if they enter the MC from the driver's side. The Fairmont MC has it's fittings on the passenger side of the MC, making line routing easier.

Hey guys,

It has been thrown my way that I might want to consider a dual chamber cylinder replacement for safety purposes. Is it possible that someone viewing this has replaced the single chamber master cylinder in a 1963 F-85 with a dual cylinder? If so can you suggest the model / part number that is best for me to look into?

If no one has done this replacement specifically but is familiar with the process of replacing a single with a dual, can you suggest the important factors that I should be aware of should I attempt this?

It has been suggested that a 1967 Chevy Camaro might make a good replacement part. (autozone # NM-1505) The mounting seems similar in style but it doesn't come with the piston / seal parts. I would have to use the old ones from my single chamber. I am not sure that will work.

WHATEVER I DECIDE I WANT IT TO WORK!!!!

Looking for more help...happy to hear from you....thanks!

chirp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chirp, You might want to tell us first what you intend to do with your car. Example, are you going to show this car a a AACA event? Do you realize that at a OCA show event that this conversion will put you in a modified catagory? I can give you my experience of doing this job if you want to pm me, but you will find that here at AACA the direction of the club and it's membership is strictly stock.

Don

That's a nice car- I see why you want it roadworthy and safe for your family. Joe and kid442 are your go-to guys here as they both have these cars and know the what where and how about them. Ken has even managed to get his original 63 Jetfire back.

So who's laid claim to the Olds- your boy or your daughter?

Visit us over at classicoldsmobile.com too- you'll see a lot of the same names along with many other Oldsmobile faithful.