65 Rivi help

Guest onedesertdog

Guest onedesertdog

Hi, I inherited a 65 Buick Riviera w/ the 425 nailhead eng. and 2 4bbl.

All original, 1 owner Arizona car. It was stripped for a restore. It has been in a barn for 11 years now. I don't know where to start, as I have no manuals or sources. I don't want to mess it up, so I was wondering what would be the first things to do to it pertaining to the engine and the fuel system.

Thank you,

Buddy

Guest phiftybuick

It would probably be a good idea to have the fuel tank cleaned/sealed, flush the fuel lines, and have the carbs rebuilt.

Pull the tank, make sure that it has no varnish or foul smelling gas in it.

Replace the rubber lines going to the carb.

Before you even try to start it pull the plugs, shoot some oil/ atf / Marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and let it soak for a few days. Then try to spin it with no plugs. Make sure you have oil pressure.

If you just want to get it running for evaluation purposes, or to drive it around a little, use a motorboat gas tank. Do not trust the original tank and old gas.

I would check the oil, take out the spark plugs and squirt a little oil down the cylinders. Then turn the engine over carefully by hand. Take off the valve covers and watch that the valves all open and close. Squirt some oil on the valve stems and rocker arms too. If a valve sticks try prying gently, it should come loose.

If it turns over and the valves are free turn your attention to the distributor. Clean the points carefully with contact cleaner and a strip of white paper. Now check if the coil is firing when you open and close the points.

Once you have the ignition working try turning the engine over, with the plugs out, but plugged into the wires. Observe if the plugs are all firing. If they are, put them back in and connect up the gas. Pour a little gas down the carb and fire it up.

What I have told you is the basic method I use to revive an old engine. There are other details to it, depending what problems you run into. The basic idea is to assume the engine was running OK when put away, and disturb things as little as possible.

If you go tearing everything apart you have no idea what was working and what wasn't and you have to go right back to basics and check everything from scratch. If you assume everything was working you can discover any faults as you go along.

O ya don't forget to check the rad and have a pail of water handy. Do not fill it up until you are sure it is going to start. Check the drain valve. If it starts, put some water in and let the engine warm up. It may run rough at first but should smooth out some if you let it warm up for 10 minutes to 1/2 hour.

Guest onedesertdog
If you just want to get it running for evaluation purposes, or to drive it around a little, use a motorboat gas tank. Do not trust the original tank and old gas.

I would check the oil, take out the spark plugs and squirt a little oil down the cylinders. Then turn the engine over carefully by hand. Take off the valve covers and watch that the valves all open and close. Squirt some oil on the valve stems and rocker arms too. If a valve sticks try prying gently, it should come loose.

If it turns over and the valves are free turn your attention to the distributor. Clean the points carefully with contact cleaner and a strip of white paper. Now check if the coil is firing when you open and close the points.

Once you have the ignition working try turning the engine over, with the plugs out, but plugged into the wires. Observe if the plugs are all firing. If they are, put them back in and connect up the gas. Pour a little gas down the carb and fire it up.

What I have told you is the basic method I use to revive an old engine. There are other details to it, depending what problems you run into. The basic idea is to assume the engine was running OK when put away, and disturb things as little as possible.

If you go tearing everything apart you have no idea what was working and what wasn't and you have to go right back to basics and check everything from scratch. If you assume everything was working you can discover any faults as you go along.

O ya don't forget to check the rad and have a pail of water handy. Do not fill it up until you are sure it is going to start. Check the drain valve. If it starts, put some water in and let the engine warm up. It may run rough at first but should smooth out some if you let it warm up for 10 minutes to 1/2 hour.

Thanks guy's. I appreciate the replies.

I was wrong about the length the rivi has sit. It was last ran in 89, then stripped. So it has been 21 years, not 11.

All the advice, will really come in handy.

Thanks,

Buddy