Ignition switch question...

keiser31

I have this 1967 Dodge A100 pickup and the ignition switch on the dash is in need of help. When I try to start it, I SOMETIMES need to shove in a paper clip to get the tumblers out of the way for the key to go in (I know that it needs new tumblers). Once I get the key in, it turns o.k. Now...I will start the truck fine...go somewhere (maybe a 20 minute drive) and stop for about 1/2 hour. I will try to start the truck and the ignition turns, but the starter will not even turn over. All of the connections are clean and tight (starter, battery, ignition switch, etc.). My question is this: Does the fact that the ignition switch needs new tumblers for the key, indicate that the starter may not turn over because of that? Do you think that it is the switch itself that is bad and not because of the key tumblers?

Guest Silverghost

Try to bypass the switch assembly to see if it will start properly.

It sounds to me like your entire swtch assembly is just worn-out !

I would replace the entire swtch assembly ;tumbler cylinder and all.

These are available at very modest cost.

Good Luck~

I have this 1967 Dodge A100 pickup and the ignition switch on the dash is in need of help. When I try to start it, I SOMETIMES need to shove in a paper clip to get the tumblers out of the way for the key to go in (I know that it needs new tumblers). Once I get the key in, it turns o.k. Now...I will start the truck fine...go somewhere (maybe a 20 minute drive) and stop for about 1/2 hour. I will try to start the truck and the ignition turns, but the starter will not even turn over. All of the connections are clean and tight (starter, battery, ignition switch, etc.). My question is this: Does the fact that the ignition switch needs new tumblers for the key, indicate that the starter may not turn over because of that? Do you think that it is the switch itself that is bad and not because of the key tumblers?

Typically, there are two parts to the switch/lock assy. Remove the switch assy. from the dash or steering column and separate the two halves . Check the back of the lock where the lock penetrates into the slot and make sure it turns ok. Next check the back of the switch where the slot is and make sure that it is not damaged or rounded off. If the lock assy. is damaged you can take it apart and fix it or take it to a locksmith to do the job. If the switch assy is damaged you can repair/ replace the switch assy. only too. Don't let someone talk you into replacing both when you don't need to.

Don

It could be the switch and it could be the starter relay. Chrysler products have a starter relay, a gold colored box with wires on it connected to the starter.

When you turn the key do the dash lights etc come on? You can check if power gets to the relay when you turn the key, this will tell you if it is the relay or key switch.