1941 Buick sedanet ID and interior help

Guest Deuce coupe

Guest Deuce coupe

Hi everyone,

Could someone help me to decode the date of production, the type of interior, and if it was possible to order a painted dash, windows trims in a custom color, other than the woodgrain finish? Is the type of cloth is correct and original as well? I already know that it was builded in the Linden plant. I am interested in buying that car, but have some doubt about the interior (original or redone).

I don't know this pattern...

Thanks in advance!

Christophe

Model: 46SSE

Serial: 33950745

Body: L 355

Trim: 907

post-65244-143138315189_thumb.jpg

post-65244-143138315192_thumb.jpg

post-65244-143138315196_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deuce coupe (see edit history)

Christophe,

I believe that in 1941 all of the dashboards are wood grain finish, except for the convertibles (which have the dashboards painted in the body color). Seat upholstery material could be special ordered, but that would seem unlikely in a Buick Special. For example, I know of at least one 1941 Buick Roadmaster convertible coupe that came from the factory with cloth upholstery, rather than the standard leather upholstery.

Grandpa

Guest Deuce coupe
Christophe,

I believe that in 1941 all of the dashboards are wood grain finish, except for the convertibles (which have the dashboards painted in the body color). Seat upholstery material could be special ordered, but that would seem unlikely in a Buick Special. For example, I know of at least one 1941 Buick Roadmaster convertible coupe that came from the factory with cloth upholstery, rather than the standard leather upholstery.

Grandpa

Grandpa, thank you for your advice. Concerning the dash finish, I agree, but I was wondering if the trim Code #907 could change the facts...

So, in your opinion, dash and seats had been restored? I am pretty sure that door panels are original, but the upholstery pattern...

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Christophe

Christophe,

I can't help you on decoding trim code #907. As for the interior, check with Jenkins Restoration and Interiors in North Wilkesboro, NC, to see if they offer a interior kit for your car. They are several people that can wood grain finish your dashboard and window moldings. Other forum members may be able to suggest someone. You may want to note what state / city you live in so that you can possibly find a person near your home.

Grandpa

• 1 year later...
Guest Kevlardj
Christophe,

Trim Code 907 says - Grey Bedford Cord (2-tone).[/quote

Larry B, do you happen to know what trim code 901 is? I have a 41 Buick Special Series 40 4 door sedan and trying to make it original. Any help would be appreciated. Thxs, Kevin

901 is tan broadcloth, which was standard in the bottom-of-the-line Specials.

The SSE actually had the interior from a Super, which would make the 907 "more" correct on an SSE, although you could technically get whatever you wanted. The two-tone bedford cord was upscale, and what you have seems pretty authentic-looking. If it has been restored, it was a long time ago and they seem to have used the correct material.

As for the garnish moldings and dash, they were all woodgrained on closed cars, regardless of the upholstery chosen. Code 907 only described the fabric, because everything else was standard across the line. The painted dash and garnish moldings on this car are incorrect and were probably done to save money on the facelift. Woodgraining is expensive (or can be), and it's not uncommon for people to just paint it and call it done. If it had been special-ordered with painted dash and garnish moldings, I don't know if that would have been reflected on the trim tag or not. I've seen interior codes of "SO" but it may require more than just painted moldings to be considered "Special Order." My guess is that this car had a standard SSE 907 interior and they just didn't feel like doing the woodgrain when it was refinished.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)