Value of old Cadillac

caddyshack

Need a little advise. I have an original 1904 Cadillac, Model B, touring body, one cylinder, chain driven auto that I have owned for 38 years and I just don't have a good idea of its value. It needs a total restoration, and since time is not on my side, I may put it up for sale this Winter. Starting crank was stolen 20 years ago, and the rear forged fender irons are missing, other than that it is quite complete. I have not seen any for sale in a long time, so any help in establishing a price range would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance from MN.

Edited by caddyshack (see edit history)

The first thing I would do is get the engine number and contact the Early Cadillac Group on Yahoo. The price of the car from an 04 to an 05 is a major issue. An 05 will bring less than half an 04. You can probably also get fender irons from one of the members as they were reproduced a while back. You can also place for sale ads on the ECG site. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I am amember of the ECG, and the serial number is 3253, the front axel is the pressed steel type with the window in the center. There is an early repair on the axel and I have been looking for a replacement for many years. The wood body is all there, and some of it would need replacement during restoration. I have been told that value is a product of the times and to not be surprised if the numbers are all over the place. I may put a note in the ECG site just for some feedback.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you check out RM's auction site and look at the results? There were quite a few Caddys as well as other similar cars sold. Saw a few that went much higher than I thought they would, I'm still waiting to find a decent Knox. Ed

Ed,

Thanks for the info about RM auctions. I have never seen so many brass era cars for sale at one location (Hershey). The prices are all over the place, but what a bunch of beautiful autos. I have never seen a documented 1904 Model F Cadillac before. I was of the belief that they were produced in 1905. There was an early Knox for sale in CA. a few months ago, what year are you looking for if I come across one?

Skip

Any year or series is ok. 02 to 04 or 07 to 12 is fine. 1,2,4 or a 6. I'm a Springfield native and just want one to play and tour with. I'll keep it at the new Springfield Museum when not in use for their hometown car display. Thanks, Ed

On your Caddy it would be worth your time to get correct serial data info on hand to prove the correct year, and certify it is a Brighton car. If your not in a hurry I would spend the time and effort to get a certificate from the club in the U.K. I have been looking at the single Caddys while trying to find an early Knox. I passed on a 05 for short money last year. Figured if I was to own a single Caddy I would never end up getting the Knox.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ed,

Years ago I verified the year and model with the help of the late Art Hart, and records from Cadillac archives. When I bought the car, the former Owner thought it was a 1903. When I showed him photos of the 04, model B and the serial number stamped in two places on the engine, he admitted that it was a possibility. The 05 models all have higher serial numbers.

What club in the U.K. does this certification? Why isn't a U.S. club capable of the same service?

Thanks for your help.

Skip

The Veteran Motor Car Club that runs the London to Brighton run every fall. They have an extensive process that certifies the date of the car and that it is eligible for the run. Thus the name "Brighton Era Car" . Identical cars from 05 that are not eligible for the "tour" bring about 50 percent less than the 04's. I'm sure a google search will locate them for you. Paper work in hand when you sell the car would make the transaction much faster, easier, and profitiable. I would not sell the car till I had the documents in hand.

• 1 year later...

John, thanks for the phone call. I am glad you found this old post. Nothing has changed, but Greg's passing changed my plans for restoration work. His offer was fair, and I almost sold it to him, but after discussing restoration costs with him we decided that this might work out better in the long run. The rest is history. Check the Early Cadillac Group site for the parts you mentioned. My e-mail is down so use this thread or give me another call. Thanks

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest dtalbott13

Hey Caddyshack, I may be a 22 year old college student that just graduated with a Bachelors degree in Automotive Restoration Technology, and because I am so young I may not know much because of my young age, but I do know a few things. One of the most important things I have learned is keep in mind that these cars are original only once, and of course I am sure you know that. It sounds like a pretty awesome automobile. Does it run by chance? Somewhere I have looked for prices for cars is in the price guides. Maybe this will help, maybe not. I hope you find the value of your beautiful and amazing Horseless Carriage Automobile, and I wish you the best of luck with the future of this automobile up in the air.

Drew Talbott, 2013 McPherson College Automotive Restoration Grad.

Thanks for the nice comments Drew.

To answer your questions, It does not run. I just recently purchased two starting cranks (1 original & 1 reproduction) and an original 04 spark plug. The body and wheels will need new wood, and mechanically the rear-end needs a cable pivot arm on the west-mott chain gear assembly. As to value, I have kept the names of people that are interested, both here and abroad, and their offers are interesting. These don't come up for sale every day, but if I do decide to part with it, I will advertise on the AACA and Horseless Carriage sites more than likely.

Thanks again.

• 2 years later...

Austincar6,

The auto is not listed currently, but I still get questions because of this old posting. I had the auto for sale locally last year for $42K and had some interest, but nothing serious. I still don't know if the price is realistic or not.

Greg Tockets auction produced an original and repo starting crank, original spark plugs, pedal locks, and some trim items. Greg and I shared many photos of my auto because of its original condition. I am still looking for the brake pivots (right and left) for the rear axel, and a steering wheel. Also a pressed steel front axel with a window in the center (have one, but shows an early repair).

I am always open to offers and questions, as was the case last week, but a listing would probably happen in April or May '16.

Thanks for your interest. 

Guest austincar6

I was at Tockets sale. I end up with some of his casting, jigs to machine parts.

I just recently pick up the pattern collection he had.

He did alot for keeping the early Cadillac going.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...