Need Info on 1917 Buick D-4-35 Touring Car

Fred Zwicker

I just purchased the above 1917 Buick Touring at the Glenmoor Auction last week. The car runs great, and starts right up after figuring it out (not sure of the exact procedure yet, but we did get it running).

Color is probably not correct, but body, paint, top and interior are all in perfect condition. Is there any printed information on the history, operation and maintenance on this car available? Does anyone know the correct color combiniation for this car when new? Thanks,

Fred

post-48037-143138309508_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138309511_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138309515_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138309518_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138309521_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138309523_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138309526_thumb.jpg

The 1916-17 Buick/McLaughlin Owners Group is for you. Email Dean Tryon to learn more. Quarterly newsletter is $10 for two years.

His contact information is

Dean Tryon

2516 Laurelford Ln

Wake Forest, NC 27587

919-562-4660 or 441-1271 cell

Editor - GM Futurliner News

Editor - 1915-1918 Buick & McLaughlin Owners Newsletter

dgtryon2516@gmail.com

Fred,

Congratulations on purchasing a really fun and reliable car. Be sure to get in with the local BCA chapter in your area. They are a very helpful and fun bunch of Buick nuts. Don't forget to get into the BCA PreWar Division too.

Very nice looking car, regardless of the color...

Very nice looking car, regardless of the color...

The car is all white, with black interior and top. I tried to locate pictures of others on the Internet and found a few (red, yellow, light blue), but not all looked to be original colors either. I did see one car that was a dark green with black fenders and radiator shell and black headlight buckets. While I do not want to get into a full restoration of a restored car, might consider painting the fenders, etc. black. So I am wondering about the choice of colors on this car to retain its original look? (Did Buick even offer a white body and if so, were the fenders, etc. black?).

Thanks for the previous replies. I have already sent for information (books) and I plan to send for the Quarterly News Letter.

Fred

I don't know about 1917, but earlier (around 1911, 1912), each model had a specific colour scheme as standard. Even by 1929, each model had only about 3 standard colour schemes. If the ones you've found photos of are the same models, it is safe to suggest that most, if not all, are painted differently than original. If you haven't already, I would contact Dean Tryon as noted previously and ask him if he has paint scheme information.

Good luck.

To the best of my knowledge from what I have read most of the cars were painted black. If the customer wanted a different color, the dealer usually repainted to the customer desired color. An item to note is that some vehicles from prior to 1920 are over done with lots of chrome on them and that is not correct. Usually those vehicles had brass or nickel trim or were black.

The trucks that I have had the bodies available from the factory in green, red, or yellow according to literature that I have. From what I have seen, the hood, fenders, etc were black.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Guest WEB 38

Fred very very nice, I have an unrestored 1920 touring with original paint, It is a dark green with a hint of blue and black fenders. I Have not been able to match the paint for touch up, my research says Buick used what was called Japan varnish What ever that is, The car is all original with 37000 mi. With an unbelivable history,Story to be in the Bugle at a later date. If I can be of any assistance feel free to call on me. Bill WEB 38