Restoration Resources for the rim blower steering wheels?

Centurion

Am I correct that this option first appeared on the 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado?

A few of us have General Motors cars of the era with this option, and I've not been able to locate a good restoration resource. The resources I've located online all seem to specialize on the Ford and Chrysler rim blowers, but avoid mention of the GM steering wheels.

Do any of our Oldsmobile members have 1969 - 1971 model year cars with this option? Any success in finding companies who restore these steering wheels?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I can't see why. I can about guarantee the same vendor made all of the rim-blower wheels, and Chryslers used Saginaw steering components so one would think if a Chrysler wheel can be repaired, a GM wheel could.

My Toronado came with rim-blow per the broadcast but it was long gone when I got the car- it had an early-70s Toro wheel. I replaced that with a correct 1969 Sport wheel that I pulled off a derelict Ninety Eight coupe for $15.

I don't think I would go back to a rim-blow even if I could find a nice, functioning one. It was one of those options that sounded like a good idea, but was ultimately more trouble than it was worth.

Thank you for your replies. I will look for contact information on Gary's.

Meanwhile, I have received the following response from a company called "Best in Show" in Ventura, California:

Hi Brian, thanks for contacting us.

We do restore the GM rim blow wheels, as well as the Ford and Mopar wheels. The cost for the restoration of the wheel itself is $400. If the wheel needs a new rubber horn switch this is an additional $150, and to clean up and dye your center pad to new condition is $75.

If you have any other questions please let me know. We look forward to working with you!

Thanks, Jay

Best In Show

1300 Saratoga Ave # 2106

Ventura, CA 93003

805-824-5002

What is a rim-blow steering wheel? A PITA mostly...

The horn contacts were actually in the outer rim of the steering wheel and the horn activated by squeezing a soft rubber ring on the inner diameter of the rim. Reasoning? driver did not have to lift his hands from the rim of the wheel to blow the horn- a "safety" option. It was notoriously unreliable, which explains why it disappeared after only a few years. It generally required expensive replacement of the entire steering wheel when it failed.

Surprises me some of the safety nannies haven't tried to resurrect it.

In the late-70s/early 80s Ford went "European" with horns on some of their cars and used a stalk on the steering column to operate the horn. Friend was a Ford store parts man back then and said they had to replace a whole lot of plastic steering wheel center trims because people would tap it to sound the horn, and when it didn't blow they would lay down on the center trim, cracking the clear plastic lens.

I had a 1980 Thunderbird with this setup, and sure enough, when I bought the car at 2 years old, the steering wheel center trim was busted.