55 roadmaster differential parts and info

Larry Minery

I just found that my 55 roadmaster has some worn & bad parts in her rear end. The large pin that runs through the ring gear carrier and spider gears has worn an oblong hole in the carrier. the keeper bolt was broken in 3 places, which may have allowed this to happen. The spider gear bushings are also trashed. Does anyone know where I could find either new or GOOD used, or rebuilt parts. what I need, are the ring gear carrier, spider and axel gears. Also I was told that the ring gear is riveted to the carrier, if so, can the rivets be replaced with bolts???? Also are the differentials the same for Roadmaster & Super and the smaller Century & Special?? Thank you for any information you can give me.

Larry, you’ve got to quit driving that thing like a high school kid who’s late for the Prom!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

I suppose your riveted ring gear could be bolted onto another carrier by a competent machinist, because finding another good ring and pinion set will not be easy. It would need to be very precise with very high-grade fasteners

<o:p> </o:p>

All the parts in the “pumpkin” interchange throughout the series, the only difference being gear ratio. Axle housing and shafts and torque-tube assembly are all longer for the bigger cars and will not interchange

I’m swamped with other projects just now, but I might have something for you, so call me after the 24<SUP>th</SUP>.

Doug Cook

If it's original, the ring gear will be bolted to the carrier in 1955. Up to 1954 they were rivetted.

I'm sure the pinion / ring gear set up is the same size for all series. The axle housing will be longer for Super / Roadmaster and will not interchange with the smaller Special / Century wheelbase. Ratios will differ for the various series.

Edited by Rooster (see edit history)