1926 fan hub parts needed

Guest Oregon John

Guest Oregon John

I have a newly acquired model 26-26 [2 passenger coupe], with a fan blade unit but missing the bearing section. Anyone have this, or know who does?

I also need one of the big circular nuts that hold on the landau irons.

This car also has the oval rear side windows, and was called an opera coupe by the PO, but has no back seats.

Oregon John

John, ask and you shall receive. 1925 26 27 Buick Standard NOS fan pulley 192691: eBay Motors (item 150491480315 end time Sep-19-10 19:44:03 PDT)

I have seen the round trim/screw in a vendor's catalog. I think it was Snyders. You might take a look. I have also seen them on Ebay from time to time. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/

Post some pics of your new baby.

Guest Oregon John

Thanks for spotting the hub, but I already noticed it. I have this part, as well as the geared shaft and the fan itself. What's missing is some sort of bearing or bushing unit that sits inside the hub, and holds everything together. [my manuals haven't arrived yet!]1926buick.jpg

Guest Oregon John

Thanks UMJ - I will contact Fred right away.

Actually, the Buick is in good running condition except for the fan. I need to freshen up the paint and fix all the loose nails and fasteners, too. But the last tasks are eternally ongoing, aren't they?

OJ

Guest Oregon John

Excellent suggestion, UMJ. It will be amongst several details to be checked. But since my car is a Standard, maybe they're not so fancy? BTW, I welcome you and other members to contact me by email, as we get further off-topic! john[at]equinoxphotographic.com

In my ' Seventy Years of Buick' book, it looks like the ' fake' ( according to the book) landau bars are all nickle on the '26 model 26, although the picture is black and white.

:) kaycee

Guest Oregon John

Thanks for noticing. I should get a copy myself! I haven't tried to scrape any paint off one of the irons, although I would suspect that the PO found it economical to use paint instead of re-plating. If so, that's another thing on my list of items to improve.

John

These fan hubs run in an oil bath. They probably wore out when the oil wasn,t replaced. 30 years ago I replaced one with a roller bearing that fitted over the shaft, and braissed a tube for it to run in to the fan driven pulley assembly.

Never leaked oil after that.

Rod

post-64273-14313830396_thumb.jpg

post-64273-143138303973_thumb.jpg

Guest Oregon John

Thanks Rod - the parts photos help clear up some gaps in my knowledge. Plus that your method of brazing in a tube is an alternative to the aluminum billet maching idea.

But here's a question, since I'll probably go with the original hub setup for a while until I can get a sealed bearing replacement made: what modern grease is good for the old hubs? It's apparent that any oil will run out. Are readers using general wheel bearing grease?

J

Guest Oregon John

Hi Mark-

I am in Eugene.

Impressive pile of old Buicks listed after your name! Wish I had the room....

I especially notice your "roadster truck." Is there a photo on the forum? Or perhaps you might post one.

john[at]equinoxphotographic.com

Guest Oregon John

Followup: Thanks to members' advice and parts, I have a working hub on my '26, and a hub shell to plan a sealed bearing mod in the future. Thanks guys!