Painting galvinized panels on a 91 ???

Guest ferr1637

Guest ferr1637

My 91 was repainted by the original owner, and the paint is now peeling off the lower galvinized panels that run below the side trim between the front and rear wheelwells on both sides of the car. Has anyone had any experience repairing this problem? I know the galvinized panels have to be prepaired properly otherwise the paint will peel off again. I understand there is a special epoxy primer for galivinized metal.

The three 3 galvinized panels on each side cover an area that is approximately 78 inches long by 8 inches wide. The paint finish on the rest of the car is in excellent condition so I'm only going to have the galvinized panels re-painted

I just started to shop around for prices, and the first fellow quoted me $700.00 ("epoxy primer is expensive")......a quote I thought was off the wall for two areas 78 inches x 8 inches so I'm turning here for advice before I go any further.

Thanks ahead of time.

John Haney,

Portsmouth, NH

ROA#12910

Sir,

On my 93 the panels you refer to are aluminum, not galvanized. I know painting is expensive; maybe Maaco or another place could do it for less. Also, maybe if you remove the manels (3) per side, and take them in the cost would be less.

There is an article here by a fellow who repainted his entire car. He really did it right and did so at a moderate cost.

Regards,

Jack C.

Edited by jcc3inc
updated (see edit history)

Guest ferr1637

Hi Jack,

You say your panels are aluminum. Hmm? Maybe I'm missing something. It looks like galvinized metal to me, and others have said the same thing, but maybe it is aluminum. I'd wonder though if aluminum would be strong enought to avoid an easy dent?

Unfortunately the panels do not come off, or at least no one yet has found a way to take them off. They appear to be sealed right onto the body.

I'd thought about re-painting the entire car, but rest of the finish is in excellent condition except for the panels. Who ever re-painted it did a real good job except for preparing the panels so that the paint would bond properly to them.

John

ferr1637,

The side panels do in fact come off....I've taken them off at junk yards and off the two 92's I've owned (one sold recently).

For the lower body panels that are on the doors, you first have to remove the horizontial stainless body trim. You'll see that the lower body panel is hooked onto stationary rivets with clips. The panels just to the rear of the front wheel wells are hooked the same way but in order to remove them you have to get to the nut holding the stainless trim first by pulling aside the wheel well in that location.

Get yourself a 1991 Riviera factory service manual....it provides detailed instructions whereas mine above is just an overview.

Onced removed, you should be able to prep them/paint them yourself. Most auto parts stores have the correct supplies for an excellent "DIY" result....have done it on spares I have.

By the way, they are made of aluminum not galvy steel (I did the Jolly_John magnet test!)

Edited by DShip (see edit history)

Guest ferr1637

Thanks Jack, Jolly John and DShip,

You all saved me from getting into a pile of $$ trouble, and I learned a lot in a short period of time. I'm ordering a 91 factory service manual off E-Bay right after I post this.

John