I know you're tried of this

Don Hudd

but. after following earier posts (old new guy on the block) and my own (interior lights), all the replies were very helpful and all curtesy lights now work escept driver side door light. I chcked agaian all the connections under both seats and all are connected, not a big deal that it does not work, but is puzzling. I swapped it with the passenger side door light just to be sure the fixture and bulbs (new) were working which they are. I am stumped.

Don (again)

Guest Mc_Reatta

You either have another bad connection or a broken wire going to that light.

First step is to determine whether it's the power side or the ground side.

Do you know if you have 12v at the light socket? Orange wire

Does the power door lock work on that side?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Then you have 12 v at the splice in the orange wires in the door, and at the door lock switch. Take another look at that splice and see why you don't have it going to the door light.

Don,

Did you take the actual plain orange splice apart under the driver's seat or did you just inspect it? If you did not take it apart please do but make sure you disconnect the battery first. When I got about half way through unwrapping the splice is when one of the wires broke loose from the splice. Good luck.

Ron

Edited by 88atta
mios-spelled word (see edit history)

Ok, here is an update. Drivers door light still not working but as to power to the power lock switch, not power if inside curtsey lights are on, if door jamb plunger is push in then have power to it or if door is left open long enough for the lights to go out, have power to lock switch. I thought maybe door jamb switch was bad so swapped with the passenger side, same thing, passenger side works fine. Not a big deal but is puzzeling.

Don

Guest Mc_Reatta

Try unplugging the connector from the door light and see if that corrects the problem with the door lock switch working when the door is open.

Somehow the current is getting from the orange wire to the ground wire so that when the courtesy light relay makes from the jamb switch being activated and grounds the ground wire to the chassis, it pulls the power from the door lock switch. If it was a hard short, it should blow the courtesy light fuse.

Could be the orange wire is damaged or the splice in the wire is not conductive enough that it is not providing enough current to light the bulb.

What is the voltage reading between the orange wire and a good chassis ground?

Can you see if the door light bulb glows dimly when you put it all back together?

MC, there is no power to the door light 's orange wire at all, if I remember right, when I unplugged the door light this afternoon,there was no power to the lock switch, but I will double check tomorrow and let you know for sure. As to my door handle switch, there is 12v going to it, but not working, looks to me that someone before I owned the car might have tried to do something with it, There is a screw from the outside of door under the lift handle in the middle, looks like a nut on the other side(inside door) that looks like that is what is holding the door latch switch. I would like to get it fixed as I have never seen "the show", but if a real pain, can live without it.

Thanks for staying with me and for all your help!

Don

Guest Mc_Reatta

Apparently the poor connection that allowed the lock switch to work but not the light, has now gone completely bad.

You can check the resistance between the orange wire in the light connector and the orange wire at the lock switch and verify that it is close to 0 ohms as they are connected by a splice in the door where both of those wires connect to the wire that runs from the splice on the floor under the drivers seat througt the door jamb and into the door and up to there.

So either one or both of those splices are bad, or the wire has broken probably where in passes thru the rubber conduit between the jamb and door.

You have 12 v at the splice on the floor since the passenger's door light works, but need to verify that the wire going to the drivers door is properly connect to all the other orange wires there.

Find the splice in the orange wires in the door, and see if there is 12 v there and all 3 wires are firmly connected together.

If you have voltage on the floor but still not in the door then you'll have to fish a new wire thru the rubber conduit and splice it to the orange wires on both sides to bypass where the break in the wire would likely be.

I have 12v in the door splice only when interior lights are not on, either by closing the door, pushing in door jamb plunger or with they go off after leaving door open for a few minites. I don't get. No power at door lock when door light fixture is disconnected, no power at anytime to the door light fixture, even when power to the lock. I can see the splice in the door, and it is good. Is the door lock supose to work when door is open? It does on the pass. side. Don't know if that was some safety thing so you don't lock keys in car? Otherwise, the way the splice in the door is, if power all the time to the lock, seems power all the time to the light fixture, so it would be on all the time, not just when door in opened.

Thanks again.

As to the screw by the drivers door lift handle, I'm sure someone did this before I got the car, never noticed it before until started doing all this.

Here is what I have.

1. nopower ever to the door light.

2. no power to the door lock if door light fixture is disconneted

3. no power to the lock when fixture is connected usless curtesy lights or off

4.so if 1 orange wire goes to the inside of door panel and lock switch and door light fixture splice together there(which they do now), how then is there constant power to the door lock so it works with door open or closed under normal circumstances, but the door light would only come on with the other curtesy lights when door is opened

5. again question #4 is how it should work, I only have power to the lock switch with curtesy lights off. door closed, jamb plunger pushed in or curtesy lights go off after timed shut off?

Sorry to dwell on this but now it is more of a challenge than anything else, although I would like to have them working properly if possible.

Thank you for the help!

Don

Guest Mc_Reatta

This is becoming a real poser.

Door lock and light should have 12v on the orange wire all the time.

Door lock should work with door open or closed like the passenger's side.

There should not be a screw visible under the door handle on the outside.

So your car has been "customized" somehow.

Fun will be to figure out how.

Look at the orange wire inside the door and see if there has been another wire spliced into it anywhere along its run.

It should come up from its entry into the door to a single splice where the 2 wires continue on to the lock switch and to the door light.

Take the back of the door lock switch where the wires are connected, of of the switch. There are some clips that need to be pried back slightly and carefully to allow the board with the wires attached to pull up and off the switch. Need a small thin screwdriver of something similar to help getting things started.

With the switch and lamp now disconnected see if there is any change in the 12v in the orange wire with door open and closed etc.

Check the connector from the door light holding the wires and make sure there isn't any damage,.dirt or contamination that would cause the contacts or wires to possibly short out together.

Guest mongeonman

The screw under the door handle can have been put there to keep the electrical contact behind the handle at its place,did it my self on my 88,it was the only way to fix it,the way i did it was almost unnoticeble.

I will pull the door panel again hopefully this eve. and let you know. I did check the other day and did not see any other wires to the orange one. I pulled the pass. seat again this afternoon hoping that I missed something, rechecked all connections and all was as it should be except 2 I think light grey maybe blue grey, that connection was bad fixed it, no change.

Yippie, I now have "The Show", must have been the bluegrey colored wires under the passenger seat, there is a splice 2 wires to 2 wires.

Ronnie you may want to add that to you list that MC_reatta gave you.

I think I am done with these elec. issues. The drivers door light and power lock switch are a bug a boo but not worth banging my head over, I am sure there will be plenty of other things for that.

I want to thank everyone for thier help.

I want to especially thank MC_Reatta, you sir have been a hugh help and very paitent with me !

Don

Guest Mc_Reatta

Congrats!

Yes the gray wires in the splice on the passenger's side are for the door handle switches. One of the critical needs to get the show.

I'm willing to keep going after the door light and door lock switch if you are. You are getting close. Just need to get back inside the door and under the driver's seat and track down where 12 volts goes. I sure it will be easier than trying to take out the exterior door handle which you now don't have to do.

Yippie, I now have "The Show", must have been the bluegrey colored wires under the passenger seat, there is a splice 2 wires to 2 wires.

Ronnie you may want to add that to you list that MC_reatta gave you.

I think I am done with these elec. issues. The drivers door light and power lock switch are a bug a boo but not worth banging my head over, I am sure there will be plenty of other things for that.

I want to thank everyone for thier help.

I want to especially thank MC_Reatta, you sir have been a hugh help and very paitent with me !

Don

The list already has this:

"Gray - door handle switch - courtesy lights, show"

Do I need to rename the color Gray to Bluegray or is it really Gray in color? You guys let me know and I will change it if needed.

Well here I thought all along that the jamb switch was bad on the Black, as I was not getting "The Show".

That was not it.

It looks like I will have to peruse Ronnies site as well as the info given on Don's adventure in getting his "Show" to come on.

I think I will start under the seat and check those splices as well...

Guest Mc_Reatta

Dave all 3 switches in the door need to be working in order to get the show.

To find out which switch or switches aren't working properly you can either check the BCM data values for B 103, 105 and 106 off the CRT, or you can just see if the mileage displays on the dash and the courtesy lights come on when you raise the door handle from the outside, when you open the door from the inside do the courtesy lights come on? and lastly, if you are inside and have the ignition on in the run position and put the car in gear, do you get the door ajar on the crt?

The specific steps to perform the BCM test were posted in the new old guy on the block thread a little while ago.

Once you know what switch your trying to fix, then you can use the color code chart info to find the splice under the carpet to go after.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Ronnie, Go ahead and move the gray wire splice for the door handle switches from the passenger's sill column to the passenger's seat column.

The table for the DOE says it is under the passenger's seat, but the location diagram points to it being running along the sill not with the others under the seat.

Don has confirmed that the DOE table is correct rather than the location diagram.

Color in the FSM is listed as gray.

Ronnie, colr is grey but it is a light grey,.

I am looking AT THE fsm still trying to figure out drivers door light, anyway I know that g=ground, s=splice, c=connection but what does p mean? I want to look in the drivers door that the book on pg8a-114-2 say purple/yellow strip wire to the fixture and say p500 located front center LH door. What is it?

Thanks,

Don (agaian, sigh)

Ronnie, colr is grey but it is a light grey,.

I am looking AT THE fsm still trying to figure out drivers door light, anyway I know that g=ground, s=splice, c=connection but what does p mean? I want to look in the drivers door that the book on pg8a-114-2 say purple/yellow strip wire to the fixture and say p500 located front center LH door. What is it?

Thanks,

Don (agaian, sigh)

It is a grommet that the wire runs through.

The symbol is: ]|[ p500