LH Exterior Mirror

Guest cmjplayboy

Guest cmjplayboy

Hi, I need to put an exterior mirror on the 1962 Starfire and need to know just where to locate it . Looks like it probably goes on the ridge, on the door, but see different locations on the internet

Thanks

Fred

post-69814-143138294667_thumb.jpg

Guest cmjplayboy

Thanks, got one from Fusick, but he says not interchangeable and he only had the left side, but no directions or template as to where it goes. . Is suppose to be Wedgewood Mist and white top,Color a little bit lighter than what shows in the picture. but somebody repainted the top to match. Also hubcaps and wheels seem to have gone missing in the last three years. The person that put the after market wheels on said the hubcaps were in the trunk when he sold it.

My recommendation is to install it where you can see it. Mine is in the factory location, and the vent window post is in the way. If I ever do any work to that door, I'm moving the mirror rearward, so I can see it without any obstructions.

The driver's side view mirror was only standard on convertibles. It was optional on everything else, and frequently dealer installed. I'm sure the accessory package came with a template, but I'll bet a lot dealers installed them where the customers wanted them instead of where the template recommended.

A passenger side mirror was not available in '62. I've seen people put driver's side mirrors on the passenger's side for balance, but they are not correct. Something with the cut of the angle on the base.

Paul

Had the Starfire out today for a show, and measured the distance from the front of the door to the front of the base of the mirror, and it measured exactly one inch on my car.

As was mentioned, some of these were dealer-installed, and may or may not have been to an exact standard; I can tell you that I can see perfectly out of my mirror with that placement. Just make sure you have a proper-size Allen wrench and screw to fasten down the mirror (had a couple of these fabricated for me years ago, they were about a quarter-inch long, if I remember correctly).

I did once have another '62 Starfire that had a mirror symmetrically placed on the passenger door; as Paul mentioned, they did not come from the factory that way in '62, and can tell you it would merely be for decorative purposes if you ever went that route; the mirror was totally useless in that same position, and I am sure the base was the exact distance from the front edge of the door (or damn close to it) on that car.

Used the same distance to put a correct mirror (from Fusick's) on my '62 Dynamic 88 Fiesta wagon; it had been previously mounted with an aftermarket mirror about a foot in front of the door on the front quarter panel.

Dave, that's great, glad it is practical for you. Of course, there are some variables involved; perhaps yours is a different amount of space from the edge of the door to the mirror than mine was; also, there could be varying degrees of success in using the mirror due to the driver's own height, and where they have their seat positioned, all the way forward, all the way back, anywhere in-between.