Value of #4 Westchester???

mercer09

I know this is a tough question- in this market, what would be a price range for a solid #4 car needing paint, chrome, interior, etc. be? A solid car that runs but needs to be completely gone over. Can anyone venture a guess? I am in the market for such a car.

Thanks in advance.

Guess only, my guess is that you'll be hard pressed to find a closed Cord worth having for less than 20-25K. And at that price, it will need a lot of work. Nice cars seem to bring 40 to 50 K, and a perfectly restored car more. Used to be you could pick up a Cord closed car reasonable, but the current high pricing (150K to 230K seems to be the range) for open cars has pulled the closed cars up in value.

Beautiful cars, just be aware of mechanical quirks, I'm working on my transmission and shifting now, and just buying a few maintenance parts and some new wiring is costly. If you're going to drive an 810-812 Cord, I've also heard it said that you better understand how the electropneumatic shifting works, so you can diagnose problems on the road. Unless you're with an ACD tour, chances are no one else can help you.

Good luck, they're absolutely beautiful cars..........

Thank you David. Your input is always much appreciated. Concerning the transmission- is there any "full proof" way to get these to drive or is it always a crap shoot?

I have read that guys install transaxles from Toronados, etc. but am not quite sure what all the defects are. I guess this is why there were so many conversions in the 50's and 60's.

Again thank you.

Hello,

They can certainly be made to operate very nicely and reliably but David is correct in that you're doing yourself a big favor if you learn the ins and outs of the transmission. There are Cord 810/812 vehicles that tour all the time and have driven many tens of thousands of miles (on several continents in the case of Josh Malks' car). Like many cars of their age there are a few tweaks and upgrades that, if made, will greatly improve the reliability and enjoyability of driving and ownership. Fortunately for us these have been well documented by the ACD Club and parts are available for all.

I recommend this manual: Cord Service Manual 810/812 for an overview of the entire vehicle and the ACD Club has published a special manual specifically addressing the transmissions of these cars. While not available online yet I can arrange for you to get a copy of this manual if you are interested. Just let me know.

Thanks,

Justin

The most common "modifications" are things that can't be seen. Theres a conversion to use newer constant velocity joints for the front end, to replace the original units. This conversion uses Toronado parts, I believe, but doesn't replace the front end, just upgrades it. The transmission can have a few tweeks, differenct spacers and some stronger gears. Some of the switches for the system can be replaced with more modern components.

They can be made reliable, as Justin mentions. The nicest Cord I ever drove was like new, every component restored or replaced with new, and it was a delight to drive, steering light as a feather and effortless shifting. It can be done.