1931 Ford Model A Rear Brake Drum

Guest uss1814

Guest uss1814

Hello,

I just started a project car a 1931 model a town car nad plan on doing a off frame restoration.

I have two questions that I need help on>

1: Where can I buy a shop manuel? Amazon tells me I have to wait four months for a re-print?

2: How do you remove the right rear brake drum the left came right off but the right will not budge. The brake shoes are not hanging, the drum turns on the shaft and I can rotor it by hand or by spining the drive shaft. I have tried heat, and a gear puller, but I'm concerned I will damage the axle if I crank down on the gear puller and heat has not been any help. The key and spline are aligned and show no obstruction to prevent the thing from sliding off.

Thanks,

John

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. The Model A Ford Forum here is not the most active board in the Hobby, but is still a good place to ask questions. Where are you located? There may be someone close to you who can offer some in person help.

The best manual to buy would be the Les Andrews Model A Mechanic's Manual that you can buy from any of the Model A Parts vendors. I personally recommend Brattons, although there are many different vendors, many with good reputations. Many of the vendor catalogs also include a lot of diagrams that will prove helpful to you. There are several "must have" books, all available from the normal Model A Part Vendors.

The correct hub puller should help getting the hub off. They are not cheap. You may be able to get away with a cheaper "knock-off" hub puller. It has worked for me in the past. One old trick that I have heard of involves loosening the hub nut a couple of turns and driving the car around the yard a bit and thus loosening the hub so it will easily come off. Good Luck and ask any other questions that you have.

Guest uss1814

Guy's,

Thank you for your replys, I guess the first thing to do is run down a shop manuel.

I found a picture of the puller you are referring to, I can see where it would work as it applies portioned pressure, it listed for $125.00 bucks, I love tools and plan on keeping this car and giving it to one of my sons and I will need it down the road anyways.

I live in Marietta, GA. the other thing I need to know is the paint code for my car.

I'm having the rims shot blasted, trued and powder coated the car has the original paint two tone black and marroon.

It is a 1931 Ford Town Sedan

Thanks,

John

Guest dcline
Ford Barn Here is a great source for all your Model A questions-they've been really helpful as well. Grat place for buying/selling parts and tools also. Good luck with your A.