Pontia-What Year Is It?

Hi folks,<BR><BR>I found what looks like a very late 40's or early 50's model Pontiac. It is a 4-dr hardtop sedan model, and has what looks like a indian chief on the rear panel.<BR><BR><P>It belongs to a mechanic and he says the title calls it out as a 57 Pontiac. I disagree here's why:<BR><BR><UL><LI>6-volt system<BR><LI> straight-8 engine<BR><LI>hood shaped in 3-waved sections<BR></UL><P>But I can't put a year on it. What is the best way to find out, serial number? In the meantime, can anyone narrow it down to a year range? My guess is 52.<BR><BR><P>Thanks for entertaining my curiosity.<BR><BR>KEN

Ken:<P>The description you are giving is very vaque. The best route would be to take a photo and e-mail it to peterg@aaca.org. He could post it here.<P>I cannot fathom how a late '40's, or, early '50's Pontiac could be compared to the design of a '57. The styling of the years of these vehicles is radically different.<P>Regards,<P>Peter J. wink.gif" border="0

First, look at the taillight lens. This will give a year that is pretty close. Second, if you could provide the vehicle identification number, we can look it up and tell you the year.

Thanks Peter, thanks Pmenhusen.<P>Tail lights are small and round, mounted on the rear fenders which are rounded and minimalistic in design. The center of body has a chrome multi-lined stripe down the middle of the trunk.<BR><BR><P>Couldn't pinpoint any abbreviation such as 'VIN' but did find these numbers:<BR><UL><LI>Style No: 52-25890<BR><LI>Body No: 12636<BR><LI>Trim No: 61<BR><LI>Paint No: 5217</UL><P>On the steering column, it has the following printed on it: Dual Range Hydramatic Drive.<BR><BR><P>Is that specific enough Peter?<BR><BR>Cheers.

Regarding the taillight lens, sorry I wasn't clear. The first year of manufacture of the lens will appear as a two digit raised number near the trim ring. While this won't tell you exactly what the year-model of the car is (the same design might be used for several years), it will get you close. Regarding the vehicle identification number, it should be on the left pillar post, and be either eight or nine characters. I suspect that the "52" in your style number inidicates that this is a 1952 model. Can anyone confirm this?

PMENHUSEN,<P>I don't disagree with you on that, and actually thought the same thing about it being a 1952 year model. It would make sense with the straight-8 engine, 2-barrel carb, the older style hood.<BR><BR><P>I guess just sit back and wait to see what the consensus. Thanks for the help.<BR>KEN

Gotta go along with critterpainter on it being a 1952 model. Are you sure the plate doesn't show model 52-2569D? That would indicate a 4 door sedan.<P>Pontiac used the flat head engines both 6 cylinder and 8 cyl. through the '54 model year. Their new ohv v8 was introduced in the '55s.<P> Tom

Tom,<BR><BR>You k now what? You've got me doubting now. I'm 27 with 20/2o vision but the plate is old, dirty. HEy, it could be a 'D' instead of an '0' but that was my best attempt at jotting down what I saw.<BR><BR><P>Either way, I can see how it COULD be 'D' if you say so.

Ken: If you are considering buying this car, please be sure the vehicle identification number on the title agrees with the one on the car. In Kansas, the highway patrol will come inspect any vehicle on-site and give a written ruling on the VIN and check to make sure it hasn't been reported stolen for about $10. This small investment will save you grief either when you go to get tag&title, or when you eventually go to sell. Before I paid the seller a dime, I would want to know that I could get a title that showed the proper year and the proper VIN. Some states allow an antique car to be transferred using a bill of sale. Check with the office that handles titles in your area.

THanks for the advice PMENHUSEN, but I am just helping a guy out more than anything.<BR><BR><P>I have a 55 Buick I needed work done on, so when I saw this Pontiac parked in front of the garage, I saw that as an invitation. WHen I talked with the mechanic there, who happens to be the owner, he said it was a 57 which is what the title says.<BR><BR><P>I looked at the car, then back at him...repeat this about 5 times and told I don't think so. That's where the curiosity comes from.<BR><BR><P>Thanks again and take care.

You said that it was a hardtop in your first post. In 1952 the 89 indicates a 4 door hardtop it was still a couple of years befor GM got all their model together ie 47 - 4dr ht, 67 - conv, 69 - 4dr sedan, 25 - 2dr sw, 35 - 4dr sw (6pass), 45 4dr sw (9pass) etc.

• 3 weeks later...

The data plate here is for a 1952 Pontiac (52) Deluxe 4dr Sedan (2569D). The quarter panels would have a round indian emblem, and the Dual Range Hydramatic is the transmission. I guess someone misread 1952 as 1957. Best Wishes, Todd Crews