Brake adjustment PA Plymouth

HarryJ

I am trying to adjust the brakes on my '31 PA Plymouth. These are hydraulic internal expanding units. I don't have an owners manual or service manual (if one exsists) for the car. The only reference I possess is some stats that say I should set the lower part of the shoe at .006" and the upper setting at .012". There is an excentric cam stud thru the lower part of the shoe and a surface contact cam for the upper part. Does anyone know how to adjust the shoes???????????

The owners manual that came with the car has repair and maintenance information. I know that reproduction owners manuals are available for 1933 and I expect that is also true for the 1931.

The most accurate way to adjust the brakes is with a special tool. Miller made the ones that were shown in the later Chrysler product service manuals. Those are hard to find complete with all the bushings and adaptors. Amco also made one (Amco 1750) that usually fetches high prices. Apparently the V8 era Ford brakes need the same tool.

You can do a reasonable job by feel if you take your time. The procedure for that can be found at Brake Adjustment

Guest broker-bob

I have a book repro by CRANK AND HOPE,,,, it has some info have not seen anywhere else,,,,,,as far as the breaks, there is a tool to center the shoes,,,in the book it gives another way to do it if you send me an E mail with your fax number will send the pages of book talking about breaks-----------bobnroman@yahoo.com

Hey Guys.......Thanx!................Keiser31, The pages are quite ledgeable and the photo of the brake adjusting device is especially helpful as the bottom "brake shoe anchor bolts" (ref # 10 in manual) are eccentric and they can only be adjusted with the drums off; unless you do the modification as refered to in Ply33's referal . By the way, "Plymouth the First Decade" is a great site! Steve, Thanx, check your E-mail. Broker Bob, I sent you my E-mail.