Top for 48 Continental?

Guest moodier

Guest moodier

Hi;Getting to point of needing new top for it!Don'tknow anything about doing this!Looks like some nice tops avalable from the LCOC venders!HAve talked to some shops say they can make new top and of course are much cheaper than the correct ones that some of our venders have?Is this something that could buy one from LCOC vender and have installed locally,wonder about ability of some of these people? Also this car is a driver,Cad engine etc so not correct etc so what about just having them make a standard top for it would be cheaper and car will never be show car anyway!Your thoughts??Thanks!

The Lincoln top is rather different due to not having the welt piece across the rear bow as most do. Some also have a large plastic window in the rear rather that using the original small glass one.

There is one vendor out there that does advertise a correct top for our Continentials, and if so, the price is not all that bad. I would for sure look for a good upholstery shop to have it installed and make any corrections necessary. I have not seen one of these tops installed so I cannot vouch for the quality or how it might fit. It will not look as good as a custom made top, however if you are not into showing it, it would probably be ok.

The shop that made and installed mine said each car was different from the factory in small ways so there are numerous adjustments made before the top is finally sewn and installed.

Done properly, the original top is a real work of art and detail.

So I guess it is like anything else, how much do you want to pay for the original vs a ready made top? As long as you have someone that is familiar with how a Lincoln top should look, maybe the vendor supplied top will suffice.

Hopefully someone can chime in on the vendor made top.

Tom

Guest frenchy dehoux

Good morning Tom

The chassis on my 1932 Hot Rod is an American stamping and the body is new and made by Denver Deuce in Colorado. If you need additional info on this let me know.

Frenchy

Check around for a shop that ahnd makes thier tops, at least then you know they will do a good job, Since you are around Tallmadge Ohio area call Summit Racing and see if they have any suggestions. The hot rod people know where to go.

As far as material, I would go with Stayfast as it holds its shape and color and you will never have to worry about wrinckels.

If the people at Summit wont help you let me know. I have some family in that area that are good friends with the owner of Summit and he is always happy to help.

Stayfast is a great choice for a top, durable, looks great, all the things V12 states. I've installed a few kit tops, and never, ever been able to just throw them on from across the room. There are always adjustments to be made. If you go with a kit, make sure you have a trimmer who knows how to make these adjustments so the overall top looks nice.

Same is true for interior kits. Always little adjustments to make it really nice.......

Good luck.....

Guest moodier

Thanks for the hints!If I get the car back before leaving for Az.this fall will plan to try to take it out there with me.Guess can't do much for now when I get it back hopefully this week will have to look at the top and try to figure if it is correct as at least then could show someone what I want.I know it has the small glass rear window but is made from some cheap nylon like material!By the way have used Summit and been very happy with them!!Thanks!