Running too cool?

Guest 56 Rum Runner

Guest 56 Rum Runner

I have a '56 Special with a stock 322. The original radiator was ready to give up the ghost so I bit the bullet and had a custom aluminum radiator made for it. I took the time while waiting for it to pull the petcocks and flush the block. I put the new radiator in yesterday and took it for a drive. It was 96 degrees outside. I let it idle in the driveway for about 15 minutes to check for leaks and to get the thremostat open then drove it for about 30 minutes at 50 - 60 mph. The temp gauge never got higher than halfway between C and N. I'm certainly impressed with the performance of the new radiator! My question is should I put a 180 degree thermostat in to let the engine get warmer? I know if it's running too cool it's not running as efficently as possible. Any input? Thanks.

Put a 160 in it, it will heat it up just fine...if you want hotter heat ..then go from there..I drove my 64 nailhead rivi with new recore and no stat..kinda funny...The weather cooled off and I forget the stat, all of a sudden the green "cool" light turns on while driving...after suffering overheating issues it is neato to see that....yes I put the stat back in..but it serves as expample to those who proclaim that car cools "better" with stat in place...just the opposite...it cools too much without it!!