Engine vibration - 48 New Yorker 8 cylinder

Well, I think I've FINALLY tracked down the engine vibration on my 48 New Yorker 8 cylinder.

To recap, I'd get a strong vibe through the steering wheel and the body from idle through about 2000 rpm. This occurres at rest or while driving. I was helping a friend d/x some tranny problems on his newly acquired 47 Windsor when he looked at my engine and spotted my lower pulley/vibration damper wobbling. I checked out his Windsor for comparison.... what a difference!

So, either I have a bad vibration damper or, it is on cockeyed. Having read the factory manual, which isn't clear on removing the v/b, I still have some questions:

Do I need to remove the radiator and the tray which runs from the grille to the front of the engine?

Are there any special tools/tricks needed to remove the vibration damper?

How many foot pounds of torque are needed on the bolts/nuts when tightening down the v/d?

Where would I find a replacement vibration damper? (checked Bernbaums's and Robert's, no listing for a v/d).

Who rebuilds vibration dampers?

Thanks,

David in Santa Cruz

To remove and replace the damper you need to remove radiater. Then remove the (6) 1/2" bolts that hold the damper and pully to the crank hub. You should not need to remove the large crank nut to remove the damper. I believe the dampers between the 6 and 8 cylinder interchange-I'll try to measure some later. I can't check by part# as they were sold as a hub and damper assembly only.

Bob

I'm glad you found the problem. Another thing that can be overlooked is the rubber motor mounts and transmission mounts may be cracked, soaked with oil and collapsed. This will not cause a vibration but will sure amplify or transmit any vibration that is present, where new mounts will absorb and eliminate them.

Thanks c49er and Rusty for your advice. I'd be interested to know if the 6 cylinder damper would work as a friend of mine has a spare 6 damper (I think).

What is interesting is that the timing seems to be spot on. When I first got the car, the timing mark pointer was gone, all that was left was an indent where a weld once held the pointer. I measured the piston travel through the supplied hole in the head at #8 cyl, then installed the pointer where the other had been -- and it lined up perfectly.

I also noticed that the anti-sway bar bracket on the drivers side was bent which suggests the the previous owner may have hit something low (there was no damage to the bumper or sheet metal).

I wonder if she hit something like a tree stump and it hit the vibration damper and timing pointer. That may explain why the damper is not true... any other guesses?

Thanks

David in Santa Cruz