Sun Roof removal

waltmail

Two fold problem. Sun roof won't operate. My intent is to repair rust to sliding roof panel, by removing it from the unit. The FSM requires opening the sun roof 2 inches. No can do. Is there a way to remove the whole unit from the car and disassemble once it is on a bench?

So far I have removed the headliner and exposed the sun roof unit. Don't know where to go from here. Can the slider panel be removed first or is there a way to take it out in one fell swoop?

I see 6 brackets bolted to the roof. Removing those had no effect. The unit did not budge. Any advice from someone who has done this would be greatly appreciated. I am at a standstill right now.

BTW, the switch activates the motor, but it binds after slight movement.

The sunroof assembly SHOULD come out with the 6 bolts removed. You need to unhook the 4 drain hoses located in each corner.... they may be holding it in place.

Once out of the car (helpful hint...tilt the seatback all the way back to give you more working room) you will probably need to disassemble the entire unit to clean, lube and get it working.

Have you tried push up in the back while themotor is running ?

Yup. Just spent 3 hours and nothing. I think the rust is so bad, it is like fused metal. Tried the hand wrenching of the motor drive. Removed the six hangar bracket bolts. Removed the 4 top lid stud nuts. pried around the seal ( broke that free ) . Unhooked the 4 drain hoses. I am missing something or it is just rusted stubborn.

Edited by waltmail (see edit history)

I just did mine a few months ago. If you remove the motor the sunroof should move freely with a little work. Cover your leather seats with a protective towel so you won't gouge or scrape them with the sharp corners of the assembly once dropped. Also try a RX7 form if you need a new sunroof for parts. There cheep there and I saw many in central Florida for around $100. That's where I got mine, and I didn't find it that difficult to rebuild. It works great now, and I no longer have to push up to get it started.

Okay. I got it out of the car. It took 2 of us a few more hours. I used everything in my shop to ease it out. I needed to manually open the lid a few inches ( it wasn't easy ). Once the lid was retracted an inch or two, the unit dropped out of the roof, to the inside of the cab. Now I have work to do. Repair the rust damage to the roof. Somehow work the lid off of the assembly, so it can be repaired, or get a replacement. Disassemble the unit and get the worm cables free and working. The motor runs, but the resistance from years of mung and rust have rendered it bound up. It should be interesting. Any hints on how to get the top lid off of the sub assembly, since the lid won't retract?

BTW, thanks for all of the suggestions and assistance.

post-31059-143138273198_thumb.jpg

post-31059-143138273239_thumb.jpg

Have narrowed it down to rusted cables. They are encrusted in the sheaths. Now if I want my roof to ever operate, I need ti find a source for new or used cables. I have been attempting to lube the tubes with PB Blaster for days now. Making a little progress , but only slightly.

Guest steveskyhawk

Walt,

Once you remove the headliner the sunroof motor will be exposed. You may then put an allen wrench into the motor and turn it with much more torque than the motor would ever make. Give the pb blaster a chance to work. Getting the old one out if it wont move may be more difficult than installing the new one.