1953 Chrysler Windsor-PLEASE HELP!!!-

Guest victortwosix

Guest victortwosix

I am currently rewiring a 53 chrysler windsor but have hit a snag, there is a brace that goes from my block, to my air filter. It has a small metal silenoid about the size of a tic tac box on it, this silenoid has wires that are going to the ignition coil and the carberator. Being that I am a father, I have no money to buy a manual and havent been able to find any info on this device.

Everyone I ask has no idea what it is. I have rewired everything to run on a 12 volt system except for this, and it wont start now...... This seems to be the best place to ask technical questions so Im hoping someone can help me.......Please help me AACA Forums-your my only hope (Star wars quote!):D

post-69322-143138269172_thumb.jpg

post-69322-143138269221_thumb.jpg

Edited by victortwosix (see edit history)

What you are talking about is part of the control system for the transmission. It contains a circuit breaker and a resistor.

The terminals should be labelled "Bat" for battery, "Sol" for solenoid, "Ign" for ignition and "Int" for interrupter.

They are connected as follows

Bat - goes to the - side of the coil. This was the green wire.

Ign - goes to the + side of the coil. This was red.

Int - goes to the interrupter switch on the transmission. This was blue.

Sol - Has 2 wires. One goes to the solenoid on the transmission. This one was red.

The other one goes to the carburetor anti stall switch. This one was yellow.

There are other wires in the transmission control circuit but those are the only ones that go to the circuit breaker and resistor box .

Also some models have other items piggybacked onto the bat and ign connections.

The original system was 6 volt positive ground. This accounts for the - being Bat and + being Ign.

What I have given you is the basic wiring.

If you have any more trouble let us know and we will try to help.

By the way. Good luck getting the transmission controls to work on 12 volts. So far as I know, no one has ever done this. Let us know how it works, or at least rig up a 6 volt power source. Or, if they will work on 12 volts without burning out.

Whether the change from + ground to - ground will make a difference I do not know but my guess is it won't.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

By the way, not having those wires on won't prevent the car from starting. They will only prevent the transmission from shifting into high gear.

It's possible your problems are only beginning.

Is it too late to go back and do the job right? By that I mean, keep it original. It would be lot easier and cheaper in the end.

The M-5 and M-6 transmissions will always upshift immediately with no transmission harniss wiring hooked up. Without the wiring hooked up you will have to come to a complete stop and wait a few seconds with the clutch pushed in and wait for trans oil pressure to drop off letting the direct speed blocker ring and sleeve pull back into low range.

The 6V wiring is needed to cause the trans to properly upshift and down shift under all driving conditions by letting trans oil pressure rise and drop off.

Bob

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if this would be a factor or not but isn't the Neutral safety switch part of the 6 volt package, that would prevent the car from starting?

I don't own a 53 or have a book for a 53, but I rescued some components yesterday off a 51 donor before it went to te crusher. The same harness going to the Solenoid included 2 wires to the Neutral safety switch. If I recall right, if that doesn't work, nothing starts.

My 42 doesn't have one so I'm guessing.

Edited by Ron42Dodge (see edit history)