64 Drive shaft question

Guest Badfella

Guest Badfella

First off, hello everyone. My name is Joe and I hail from San Diego, CA. I stumbled upon this place while researching parts and info for my '64 Riviera. Really glad I found you all!

My question is... Does my '64 driveshaft contain CV joints? I've been thinking of pulling it to replace the driveshaft support bushing/bearing. It's not bad, but has a small vibration over 60. This is the first 2-piece drive shaft I've owned and curious as to what they're made up of. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Guest Badfella

Thanks Jim! One more question before I pull the shaft. If the bearing support and/or bearing were bad, would I be able to wiggle the shaft and tell without removing it? It seems like if either were bad they would move around in the tunnel.

The bearing support has a rubber insert that will move around if really bad, but not so much if only a little bad.

The bearing will probably not move much. It growls when it goes bad.

A new bearing can be obtained from NAPA, if needed.

Guest Badfella

OK Jim, one more and I'll quit bugging you:) What's the deal with the round flanges at the rear end? I'm used to u-bolts holding the u-joints at the rear. This thing is so different than any others I've worked on!

OK Jim, one more and I'll quit bugging you:) What's the deal with the round flanges at the rear end? I'm used to u-bolts holding the u-joints at the rear. This thing is so different than any others I've worked on!

That is your rear CV joint.

Mark it so that it goes back on in the same position relative to the pinion.

The '64 is different than the '63. On the '63 there is a U-joint that attaches to the splines on the pinion gear. On the '64. there is a flange that's bolted onto the pinion flange and the mating flange is attached to the CV joint. See attached pictures that show the difference. Your rear-end is "Factory correct"

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)