ABS Yellow Light Flash when Braking

Guest zonker

Guest zonker

I have an '89 Reatta, had been sitting for about 8 years before I acquired it, about 10 months ago. After general clean up, tires, a/c compressor and relay replacement, my daughter's been driving it back and forth to school since last November. Last week, she told that there as an intermittent light on the dash, which turned out to be the yellow ABS light. It only comes on for a couple seconds when you apply the brakes. Touch the brake pedal and it lights up, a couple seconds later the red brake light flashes once and the yellow light goes out with the red one. The brakes appear to work OK, and the fluid level is where it should be. The only ALDL code that I get is '21' which as I understand it, could mean just about anything. Step 7 of the 'Brake Test' provides a good 'thump' as well.

Wondering if anyone has the best plan of attack for this problem. Like I said, the brakes appear to be working fine, but would like to correct this before it becomes something major.

Thanks.

Guest zonker

Is that an easy replacement? Can it be done with the Teves unit still on the car, or will I need to totally remove it from the firewall? Either way, is there anything else that should be replaced while the unit is being repaired?

Thanks again for the quick response and help. I'm trying to decide if I want to put any more money and time in this car, or maybe find a new home for it.

Guest Mc_Reatta

It's an easy replacement. Remove pressure from the system by stepping on the brake pedal 20 times or so. Use a hex head wrench to screw it off and replace with a new one. Make sure the new one has the o-ring in place before installing. Does the brake test results confirm that it is getting weak? Takes a long time for the red light to go out when pressure is low. Red light comes on with just a few pushes on the pedal with pump off?

Guest zonker

Test results:

Test 1 - 1 pump

Test 2 - 1 pump

Test 3 - about 20 seconds for both lights out

Test 4 - 25 seconds until pump stopped

Test 5 - 1 pump

Test 6 - almost 1/2 inch

Test 7 - got the thump within a couple seconds

Do we still think it's an accumulator?

Yes. Price changes daily. Amazon does that. Is $110 now inc. shipping. Serveral here have bought one & have not heard any complaints.

BTW any problem with the boost circuit (red light) will turn yellow (ABS) on automagically. If there were an ABS problem the yellow light would not turn off until the key was turned off.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

One pump on test #5 indicates the accumulator has gone bad.

Ronnie's replacement instructions"

Mine old one was really tight. There is a hole at the top for using a hex wrench (Allen wrench). I used an allen wrench along with an oil filter wrench around the body of the accumulator for a more even pull on the accumulator. The oil filter wrench was the type with a handle on it that gets tighter as you pull on the handle.

I had a helper trying to hold the part in place that the accumulator screws in to. That part does not seem very sturdy when you pull hard on the accumulator trying to remove it.

Be sure to put a little oil on the new O-ring to lubricate it before installing it.

I didn't tighten the new accumulator nearly as tight as the old one and it didn't leak.

Guest zonker

OK, looks like an Amazon purchase is in my plans for the day. Thanks to all of you for the help.

Is there a 'best' procedure for relieving the pressure before I try to remove the accumulator? Is it OK to keep driving this car on short trips while I wait for the new part?

Guest mounthopewalt

I pump the brakes 25 times to relieve the pressure. Wear old clothes and glasses, as there still may be a small spray of oil.

I would not drive a Reatta without a proper functioning accumulator.