High-wheeler in 1915 Yudnamutana

Vintman

Hi Folks,

Another we need your help with please. Interesting high-wheeler photographed in Australia. Location is Yudnamutana in March 1915. The people are named and have the profession 'foot geologist'. Yudnamutana was a copper mine in the mid 1800s in the arid bit of South Australia where a draught caused the closure as water was not available for the animals being used. Another attempt was made in the early 1900s but abandoned. Perhaps this was part of that attempt.

Vehicle is a high wheeler but is unusual in having a steering wheel and a forward tank of some sort which seems to have a sump type train tap on the underside. Full eliptics rather than transverse springs and sizable kingpins. Seems in good condion so relatively new in 1915?

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

post-58492-143138247115_thumb.jpg

It seems to have many pointers to an International Harvester. Photo in the Standard Catalog shows one with a round tank at the front. Does anybody have a photo with a square tank in the front. Kingpin assembies very IH. No IH logo but these did not come into regualr use until later. 'Rads' not until 1910. Probably is an IH??

Regards

Vintman

I agree with IHC. The early ones were Air cooled, The later were water cooled. I have worked on a 1913 that has an Air Cooled engine and that year had a hood with a screen front. A fellow use to come to Rhinebeck NY with an early one as pictured. I also have spent some time around a 1916 Watercooled IHC High Wheeler. Dandy Dave!

Hi Folks,

Thanks larry for your kind input. The first photo shows clearly the two leavers on the steering wheel and the big kingpin assemblies, both also present on my photo. Generally there seems to be only one leaver? Out of interest, what were they for? What is the year for the second photo.

Thanks also to Dandy Dave on the info as to Air/Water. Would I assume that the tank on the front was for fuel ? Presumably nothing to do with water?

Regards

Vintman

Yes, the front tank is for fuel. The later High Wheelers had the fuel tank under the hood. The engines were 2 cylinder opposed models. The levers were spark and throttle. The transmission is a two speed forward and around 16 miles per hour was top speed. Dandy Dave!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest onelung

And another one from Louisville....

58668d1278250503-louisville-75th-aniv-meet-photos-img_0385.jpg

Whatever this is, it isn't an IHC - the frame/chassis is quite different.

I believe it is a 1908 Kiblinger.

From the website "American Automobiles".

Kiblinger

W. H. Kiblinger Co.

Auburn, Indiana

1907-1909

The Kiblinger Motor Vehicles were American Automobiles made in Auburn, Indiana from 1907 to 1909. The Kiblinger was a High Wheeler capable of passing over ruts that passed for roads in rual America.

Guest onelung
The one pictured in the link you provided is a single seat model where as the one pictured from the Louisville meet is a two seater...

Absolutely correct.

So...:confused:

Guest onelung
Maybe load capacity (single seat vs. 2 seat) has something to do with axle differences????

Usually does on most vehicles...

Well.... if you want to believe that, go for it.

I'm not buying it, though.:rolleyes:

I'll keep looking to find a Highwheeler which has the king pin/axle setup like your "Kiblinger" and see if it is indeed a Kiblinger - or something else.

In any case - what basis did you have for picking on Kiblinger?

There were at least 77 different makes produced in the US.

Refer "Antique Automobile" March 1963 issue.;)

Hi Folks,

You may care to note that quite a lot more has come to light on our photo and that we have now devoted a separate sub-page in our Help Pages to it at : 1908 International Harvester Runabout at the Yudnamutana Mine, Australia. . Makes quite interesting reading, especially the links to the history of the mine and the mine inspector.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

Classic Cars, Veteran Cars and Vintage Cars - The Surrey Vintage Vehicle Society

Well.... if you want to believe that, go for it.

I'm not buying it, though.:rolleyes:

I'll keep looking to find a Highwheeler which has the king pin/axle setup like your "Kiblinger" and see if it is indeed a Kiblinger - or something else.

In any case - what basis did you have for picking on Kiblinger?

There were at least 77 different makes produced in the US.

Refer "Antique Automobile" March 1963 issue.;)

Well onelung...The picture you posted of the "one from Louisville" at one point during the show had a sign sitting on the seat that read: "1908 Kiblinger"...

Since I saw it, read it, with my own two eyes ;) that is why I made the post that I did. Not picking on Kiblinger at all...:o

But who knows, maybe the person who put that sign on the seat didn't know what it was. I'll let you take that up with them...

Guest onelung
Well onelung...The picture you posted of the "one from Louisville" at one point during the show had a sign sitting on the seat that read: "1908 Kiblinger"...

Since I saw it, read it, with my own two eyes ;) that is why I made the post that I did. Not picking on Kiblinger at all...:o

But who knows, maybe the person who put that sign on the seat didn't know what it was. I'll let you take that up with them...

No dramas, Bob - you hadn't previously mentioned the sign, I think.

I'd still be inclined, though, to regard the different axle & kingpin arrangements as a product of a model (ie year..) change, rather than being the difference between a 2 seater and 4 seater. Perhaps there was an indication of that on the above mentioned sign ?:)