Carlisle GM Nationals

68RIVGS

Randy,

Thanks for posting, We didn't make it to Carlisle and I hadn't seen any pics from there. I understand ROA had the 4th largest club turnout there which is significant considering all the other popular mainstream GM models/clubs out there.

I'm assuming you and the Riv made it back to Ottawa without any issues?

Funny you should ask Jason ! :D :D :D

Apart from running out of gas on I-81 (. . . gotta fix that gas guage someday - it always reads " full", . . . musta miscualculated ?), the trip home was without incident. We headed north, in convoy with Elton and Gail Cook and their beautiful blue '66 Riviera as far as Binghamton, where they headed east, and just shortly afterwards, the BBB 430 stopped motoring from fuel starvation !

Fortunately, at 80 mph, I was able to coast about a 1/4 mile to an "ON" ramp, and let the car roll down 'the wrong way' on the shoulder of the ramp with the 4 ways on. It was a 100' hike to the Sunoco, to buy a 2 gal. gas can, fill it with 2 gal. of 93 octane, 100' hike back to the car, fire it up and drive to the station to fill it up. Needless to say, there was also a DQ next to the station, so we couldn't have picked a better place to stop !

I'll probably get reminded about it everytime Mary gets into the car, for sometime to come ! :rolleyes:

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Randy,

Self inflicted breakdown. Urgh! 80mph huh :D:eek:

Agree you picked a good place to run out. Glad thats all it was. There are some desolate areas along I-81.

Yes its time to fix the gas gauge. Especially if you like to run 80mph. Not sure about your car but in a couple 67s I had once I got to 80-85 the mpg really suffered. I was following a truck one time doing 90mph for miles. The gas gauge needle was going down almost like a slow moving second hand on a clock.

Jayson,

At 90 mph behind a big truck, you need to close the gap to pick up the draft. In drafting "If you can see the tires on his trailer, you're not nearly close enough." :eek: You should be able to ride the draft for free. LOL. This is what an acquaintance of mine told me; I'm too chicken (smart?) to try anything like this.

Ed

Years ago Ed, we used to try that on motorcycles, and it worked much better with a big Greyhound bus, rather than a semi. The buses were built much lower to the ground and it was a lot easier to find the sweet spot, but you could never tell when that big sucker was stopping or slowing down ! :eek::D

. . . I hear yah on the gas guage Jason ! :)