Off topic question

Ames63

So I ran acroos this guy selling a hardshell tonnuea cover for my 09 Colorado. It was only $100.00 so I thought hey what a great deal. It was red so I painted it black, mounted it on my truck and now I need to find the appropiate lifters or struggle lifting it on my own. The guy at Autozone said I need to figure out how much the cover weighs, and this is my delima. My brother suggested that I raise the top, put a scale on the floor bed and use a 2x4 wedged in between the cover and the scale and add 20% to the weight read off the scale. Do you guys think this is a good idea or does anyone have any ideas on how to determine what lifters would fit for this cover?

Unless you can get a manufacturers specs on the lifts/struts, I don't know how you will be able to select the correct units........ outside of trial and error.

In addition, the struts are not located at the tailgate end, you must measure the force where they are mounted.

You could also determine the brand of the cover and contact the manufacturer...they would surely have replacement parts or could tell you a part number to purchase.