Supercharged Reatta

Guest lazarus331

Guest lazarus331

I have a 1990 Reatta. The engine is blown. I am interested in putting in a 3.8 with a supercharger. If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, hints, how to do this I would very much like to hear from you.

Series 2 is an entirely different engine control system and all series 2 PCMs contained programming for the 4T65E trans.

Am sure someone must have adpated one by now since they are put into Fieros bt Fieros do not have the interaction between the ECM and BCM (and SIR for 90) that a Reatta has.

If no-one here can help (I cannot) you might try Ryan at gmtuners.com.

The series two is basically the same swap, mechanically. The Reatta ECM can control the Series two with a little rerouting of the plug wires and fuel injector wires, also you must use the OBD1 sensors. All are not too hard to do if you can read a schematic.

I have gotten my car running after the L67 swap was finished last week. My car is an 88 Reatta with a 94-95 Series I L67, and I am running an 02 GTP PCM in the car to control the engine and the OBD2 allows a bit more tuning freedom with HP tuners. Everything has communicated so far on the CRT except for the Tach and Coolant Temp. Unfortunately, the CRT displays on start-up, computer communication issue, even though there is no issue that affects drivability at all. I am also running no EGR, removed cruise and A/C. The Series I is mounted to the stock trans out of the 88, which is a reman'd unit from GM back in the early 90s. No electronic trans here. The throttle bracket also needed to be modified as well as it had no place for the kick down cable on a non-Electronic trans. A HD cooler and fan was also installed for the trans to keep the temp down, and a boost gauge and trans temp gauge were installed within the car. As for swap, the 90 would be much more straightforward even for a Series II L67 swap I would say. Series I L67s tend to be stronger than the Series II anyways, larger piston rings, thicker rods and better compression I believe. The Series II L67 runs better heads but there are certain weak points when developing certain amounts of power, even though they can pack a punch. It really depends whether you want a nice driver, or more of a performance Reatta. My car is more on the performance side, L67 Series I, will have headers and exhaust soon enough, lowered, with the 17s and KYBs for suspension. The PCM allows the car to be tuned more easily, using HP tuners and a laptop. Therefore the car can be tuned to certain preferences, especially when a smaller pulley is installed, etc.

I just lost my EGR. Also if you like the look and function of the original electronics; diagnostics through the heater controls/ CRT I would try to stick with the original ECM. if all you are trying to do is get as much power and performance out of the SCed engines and have no want or care for keeping the original functions, then use a newer PCM. Using the newer PCM makes for a much easier swap also. Me I love my on board CRT and have spent alot of time/money keeping every aspect of it functional, from engine to radio.