distributor advance not working

Guest erector

Guest erector

Hi again. As usual I need more help. My distributor on my 40 buick doesn't seem to be advancing properly, actually at all. Anyone know where I can get the parts to overhaul my distributor? Maybe even some advice! It has plenty of vacuum. It is old though.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest erector

Thanks John. Apparently there must not be any way to do it ourselves. May try anyway. Like a challenge!

Ercell

Also check your mechanical advance. You should be able to rotate the breaker plate and feel it return with the force of the springs. If not, remove the distributor, (be sure to mark both the position of the rotor and the body of the distributor to the engine block) then remove the rotor, points, condensor and the breaker plate itself. Now you will be able to see the weights. In my car, the weights were dirty, rusty, etc. I gave them a nice bath in kerosene, a little light lube, and reassembled.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MNRoadMaster

I saw this and it's a situation I have just dealt with. I took my cap off and cleaned in there as best I could where the plate rotates. I noticed a ball bearing out of place on the side and corrected it. Use low temp cold weather lithium grease on it. See if it moves by hand, Measure what it's getting for vacuum to work with - I had a good reading of 20. Put a vacuum checker on the distributer port and see if it moves correctly with 15 as a measurement - this is what mine worked with -and if not repair / replace the unit.

I hope this helps - it's just what worked for me....

Don

• 2 weeks later...