1950 Buick Special Engine Paint

Guest sconnors

Guest sconnors

I did everything on the car. I used inexpensive sponge brushes as they're a lot easier to paint rough surfaces with. Cleaned the entire engine with Gunk Engine Brite and then painted everything with two coats allowing a couple of hours dry time between them.

Guest 1950SuperPDX
Here's some before and after pics of my engine. I used Buick turquoise paint from Antique Old Buick Parts CARS, Inc. and the manifold paint from -Hirsch Automotive Products

All in all, came out pretty good.

It looks really nice however thats not the correct color. The Hirsch Turquoise is the correct color, it has just a tad more green. This is almost a sky blue..

Edited by 1950SuperPDX (see edit history)

Congrats on leaving the oil filter the correct colour.

Now, as for correctness of colour, we need to stop belly-aching about every slight difference. First of all, the colour as captured by a camera (with flash?) and displayed on a computer may not be exactly as you would see it with your eyes in natural light. Secondly, anyone who thinks there was no variation in colour at the assembly plants needs to have their heads examined. Variations in temperature and humidity affect paint. Different lots affect paint. Paint 60 years ago is not the same as paint of today.

Another point is that fresh paint will continue to cure and change a bit over time. It will change a bit as the engine is used and heat will have some impact on the colour.

Unfortunately, from a BCA 400 point judging perspective, it seems many have decided that the Hirsch paint is the only acceptable correct shade. For my '66 Wildcat, they cleaned up a part and used the original paint to colour match. I have a photo of it completed on an engine stand before it went into the car. That photo (in artificial light with flash) looks very much to me like what the colour should be. However, now, in the car, it is a darker colour (especially compared to everyone else who has used Hirsch paint). I don't deny that it is a darker shade, but the end result was a mandatory deduction in Colorado, which cost the car a silver award.

Rant mode off.

• 11 years later...

I know this is an old post but my intake was a dark green like forest green when I removed it from the engine for new gaskets. The engine valve color was that teal color pictured above. The transmission is bare metal with undercoating from back in the day.