New Member Introduction

YellowLark

Hello! I just joined the ROA a few minutes ago, and hope to be sharing with my fellow Buick owners on this forum. I was previously a BCA member with a yellow 1966 Skylark, and used the name "YellowLark" to post some 550 threads on those forums from 1999 until 2006, when I sold that car after 40 years.

I tried to pick another name just now, but the AACA board recognized my email address from years ago and won't let me register a new Riviera-themed name. Oh well, that should be the least of my issues....

I bought a 1983 Riviera convertible in September, 2009. This was an eBay transaction from a seller in Texas. He stated that he had recently bought the car from another ROA member in Florida. So this is a car that some ROA members may remember. Actually, it's hard to forget if you every saw under the hood, as all the emissions equipment was removed - with a torch!

The car was so badly misrepresented that, after 11 years of buying and selling items on eBay, including cars and boats, that I had, for the first time, to give the seller negative feedback. Then I spent the winter trying to decide if a 1983 Riv convertible with good body panels and upholstery, but needing absolutely EVERYTHING else, including the floors, was even worth saving.

Meanwhile, I purchased the service manuals and parts illustration manual and spent many hours scanning them. The outstanding advantage is that the scanned images can be greatly magnified on a PC with perfect detail.

I finally decided to keep it as a retirement hobby project. After having the front axles, brakes, and transmission rebuilt, I then purchased a a burgundy 1983 Riviera as a parts car. That one has a good complete, original engine and good floors. It has some fatal flaws, but is good where the convertible isn't

As you are probably surmising, I have a lot of work and many questions in the future. Actually, I'm not sure if the convertible is already patched together from other cars. But, hopefully, other owners can guide me into what is correct and the best way to fix things. And, once I master something, I will be glad to post that knowledge for others.

Looking forward to enjoying our cars.

Edited by YellowLark (see edit history)

YellowLark,

Welcome to ROA! I don't think you will be disappointed with your membership. As you have already found with Jayson's response, there are members that are ready and willing to assist you with your project.

Good Luck with you car!

Guest Ranger

Welcome,

I bought an '85 convert ten years ago in AZ. It didn't have any body problems but did have a few mechanical problems. I think you made a wise move in buying a donor car, the converts are just plain fun to drive. You should be able to get all the tech advice you need at this site.

Good Luck and again, welcome