Western Electric Lamps wooden base

rick60

These are old bulbs given to me 30 years ago by a retired mechanic. He knew my hobby was old cars and thought I might use them some day. They have a wooden base. There are metal contacts in the center portion. "2G" is imprinted into the wooden base. They are manufactured by Western Electric company. The length is approximately 1 1/2 inches. There are 5 of these in the original package. I am curious to know what the application is and what years these were used. If anyone can use these please let me know. Thanks

post-59985-14313820772_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138207722_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138207725_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138207727_thumb.jpg

Funny you should mention. I used to be a tool maker for Western Electric. Western Electric was the manufacturing arm for the "Phone Co" ( AT&T) . I actually made one part of the machine that made those bulbs. I made the part that took a hollow glass stem heated the end and swaged the bulbous end while inserting and trimming the two support wires. They then had the filimant crimped on. and then had the envelope melted to the stem, evacuated and the stem pinched off. All on one machine that was on a rotating table. The wood base was made by a single machine that started with a 3 or 4 foot piece of hex shaped hardwood dowel. The machine drilled the hole and two small saw heads cut off a 1/2" or so angled piece. Each cut made one piece. I think they were dyed to indicate application. They were used in switch boards and were probably 48 volts DC but there are probably different series with different voltages or current draw. ...........Bob