New owners

Guest 56 Rum Runner

Guest 56 Rum Runner

My wife and I just purchased a 1956 Buick Special 4Dr HT. It has just under 41K miles on it and all the numbers match. There were only two quarter size rust holes (one on each rocker). Those were repaired and the rest of the car is orignal steel. It's going to the radiator shop tomorrow morning because the tubes are blocked. I'm expecting that it will need a recore, but we'll see. It has a small leak were the filler tube connects to the gas tank and the radiator shop will address that as well. I plan on changing all the fluids in the next few days and thanks to this forum I now know I can substitute Dexron III for Type A. The brakes are a half century away from the stopping power of our Acura, but they still get the job done as long as you begin a bit farther away. I'm looking forward to learning from the experience of the members of this forum. Thanks, Mike.

Congratulations on the new purchase and welcome to the forums! Sounds like you got a nice driver! If you haven't already, I might suggest replacing the brake lines with new stainless steel ones. The way I understand it on these older brake drum systems, if you get a leak in the lines, all 4 brakes go out. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) I went ahead and converted my front ends to disc brakes and replaced the old rusty lines to stainless steel. Classic Tube has both standard and power for your year and model:

Classic Tube: Standard & Power Brake

Guest 56 Rum Runner

JohnD1956,

We really like the way it looks too. They're 17" American Racing wheels with 235/70s. We had to pull the axles and stud them, but it gives it a beefer look. If you like meaner, follow this link:

The trunk lid says "Tailgaters will be Torched". This is set up to only work while the car is in Park and I have my wife stand to the side in the rear to make sure no one gets close. I've got it putting out 5+ foot flames now.

so if the black out tail light switch trick don't work and they catch up with you, wait til the officer is walkin up and is about 5 feet away then you just hit another switch, toast em and haul. Dang!!! y'all nawthern rum runners put us cracker moonshine haulers to shame. :D

Yeah that's a sweet lookin '56. (the photo wasn't loading on my machine before)

Hey Lamar,

Yep I'm still in Athens, loving it here. I work over at TSAV next to the chicken plant on Barber. I finally bought a house a little while ago with a 2 car garage and now have my '53 in there and I'm chipping away at it. She's coming along very nicely. I'm hoping to have her driving by the end of summer. We should meet up sometime if you're out and about in one of your '54s!