1917 Dodge Touring Gas Tank

Guest Darracq

Guest Darracq

I'm still having trouble with my 1917 Touring. I fill the vacuum tank and it will run for 2 or 3 miles then the motor stops because the vacuum tank is dry.

I have checked the operation of vacuum tank and it seems to be capable of working OK

I have checked that the gas tank filler cap is venting

I have replaced the fuel line from the rear tank to the vacuum tank

I have tried installing an electric fuel pump in the fuel line.

My guess is that the pick up pipe (elbow and siphon tube?) into the top of the gas tank is mostly blocked.

My gas tank has an oval plate in the center top of the tank. The plate seems to be riveted and soldered onto the tank. The fuel line joins to an elbow into the tank. Does this elbow unscrew?

Also on the oval plate is a slotted screw. Is this a blanking plug?

Hoping someone can tell me, I don't want to use too much force and damage my gas tank.

On the upside, I just drove the car like this for a round trip of thirty miles to take it to see a friend who can save the original upholstery. Its booked in in a fortnight.

Thanks, Dave

Guest Darracq

The vacuum tank pulls plenty of gas from a jar full of gas at the rear of the car. I have installed a new fuel line, so I know the fuel line is not blocked. There are no air leaks in the fuel line. I am sure the problem is in the rear gas tank.

Does the elbow into the rear tank unscrew? Is the pick up pipe attached to the elbow?

Thanks, Dave

Guest Darracq

Thanks for the help. With your reassurance, I chipped away at the paint around the joint of the elbow with the tank and eased the pipe undone.

The tube goes right down into the recess where the drain plug is. Unfortunately the recess is full with 97 years of crud. And the drain plug is well stuck.

I don't have time to clean the tank properly right now, so I made up a new elbow with a shorter tube attached. OK, I will run out of gas a bit sooner but now the vacuum pump isn't trying to suck crud.

I drove the Dodge the long way home from work this evening, about 10 miles, and it ran fine all the way. I think i'll go to work in it tomorrow too.

Thanks again, Dave