26/27 Ford T Wire Wheels

caddyshack

Info needed. Did Ford use two different types of wire wheels in 1927? I have a beautiful full set of 27 T wheels, but the hubcap diameter is 2-3/4 inches, not 2-1/2 inches like the 26 T wire wheels. I purchased new hubcaps for the 26/27 wheels and they don't fit at all. The wheels are definately Model T, the only difference is the hubcap diameter. A/R caps fit perfectly, but I thought that these were used on early Model A's only.

Thanks

Skip

Is it possible that you have the so-called "AR" wheels? they were carried over from the T as far as the same rim and hub.The earliest As had no separate emergency brake shoe.When you applied the E-brake,it merely applied the service brake.Several states (or commonwealths) ruled this illegal so Ford hurriedly incorporated the separate shoe and lever on the rear wheels. this necessitated adding 1/2 inch to the hub rim. The side of the AR hub,which goes over the drum is about 1" while the standard A hub is 1-1/2". If these wheels are in good shape,you have something a lot of people are looking for. Consider posting on fordbarn or ahooga.

How do you know the wheels you have are for a Model T? I have been working on T's for 40 years and never saw a second style Model T wire wheel. I think you have AR wheels. If so, they are probably worth twice what T wheels are worth. Now all you have to do is find the guy with an AR that needs them.....

Frank

Thanks for the reply Dave and Frank. The late 27 T chassis that I purchased two years ago was assumed to be totally stock. The wire wheels (5) all had 9-inch dia. hubs with the standard bolt hole circle used on 26 T spindles. The wheels are identical to the set of 26 T wire wheels that I sold recently, but the hubcap diameter is the only difference. These wheels are perfect and are mounted on a restored 27 T chassis. I am not at all familiar with the AR designation. Wre they used on Model A's only? I have a 29 A, but the hub dia. is 10-1/2 inch and does not look anything like the T wire wheels.

Thanks again. Skip

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Dave.

I will be using the A/R hubcaps on the wheels. I was surprised to see that these wheels bolted up to the 27 T front and rear hubs. I still don't know if the early A/R models had the same hubs (and bolt circles) as the 27 T. I thought that all A's had four wheel mechanical brakes with an emergency brake added in mid 28. And if so, did the bolt circle change at that time also. If Ford had a surplus of 27T wheels that carried over into the A era, I can see them boring out the hubcap area to make them usable on the new A. If some of these bored out wheels were used on the T assembly line in late 27, I was trying to find out if others have run into a similar application.

Thank again.

Skip

As I previously stated,the first A's came without a separate emergency brake shoe on the rear wheel.They had a handle on the left side which engaged the regular brakesfor parking but would be useless in emergency if the regular brakes failed.Ford hurriedly added a separate emergency brake independent from the regular or service brake.To do this they had to enlarge the hub on the later wheel,front and back.The trucks kept the left hand brake through the year.Ford shut down all production midway in 27 to tool up for the A so they wouldn't be on the assembly line in late 27. They used the basic dies for the new wheel,just altering the hubcap opening.