Looking for Help with 1908 Sears Model J

Norm Hutton

I have a 1908 Sears Model J that I run and use in its current condition. I am thinking about restoring the car to show condition and need some pictures of the orginal horn, and also need an orginal body for the car. The car was re-bodied in the late 1930's according to the previous owner, and I would like to find an orginal body to restore during the restoration process.

Hopefully someone can help.

Please contact me at 0akland1916@yahoo.com

It seems to me there was just recently some discussion on these forums about the early Sears cars and some body posted pictures or ads. The car was made from 08-12 unchanged and it looked like a contemporary 1902 model,like Sears had bought up a load of unsold 1902 cars and took 4 years to finally unload them.

Sears cars were made from 1908 to 1912, but they were hardly unchanged. There are many difference between early and late cars, the most notable being the engine, which is totally different.

I have an extra Sears body. It is disassembled and probably not complete, but would make a great pattern. It is for a long-wheelbase car, however, I believe it is almost the same. Fortunately, I also have my dad's complete and original 1910 model J in the garage if you want something to look at for patterns also.

Norm,

My husband and I own a 1911 Model H. Sorry we can't help with an extra body. We also do not have an original horn just the horn bracket. I attached the cover to Sears catalog book that shows the correct horn. We do still have the original top but don't have the fenders. We are looking for fender support rods. Does anyone have an extra set?

post-30694-143138198953_thumb.jpg

post-30694-143138198955_thumb.jpg

Guest EMF-Owner

I think there is a picture of the correct style horn on the Sears Motorbuggy Homepage. Check it out at the following URL:

http://SearsMotorBuggy.com

Look in the Photo Archive under Unclassified.

Lots of other info there that may prove useful to you as well.

Good luck.

John