Bendix Scintilla VAG8-D3 8-cyl magneto

I'm looking for a 1930-35 vintage Bendix Scintilla model VAG8-D3 magneto or very similar for a replica of a Studebaker Indy car. See picture below.

Gary Ash

Dartmouth, MA

scintilla_magneto_studebaker.jpg

If you get really stuck, and if you have reasonable workshop access and expertise, you can convert a similar mag from a 9 cylinder Wright Whirlwind R975 radial aero engine like Lindberg used on his first solo trans-Atlantic flight. You will have to make different rotor and distributer blocks. I would have done this for the 1921 Tipo 8 Isotta Fraschini if I had not found enough parts for a correct Bosch. You would have to check that the automatic advance actually advances for your application; and if not, reverse that. On the radials they used a booster coil for better starting; however the engines with American Bosch magnetos did not need that and the power output on the log sheets of the testing was about 4% higher than for engines with Bendix Scintilla. If you cannot find exactly what you are looking for I could find a Bendix 9 spark. I still have a very few brand new R975s in original boxes, too, if anyone needs one.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest flyboy76

I have a 8 cylinder Bendix Magneto very similar to what you are looking for,it belonged to Dave Euline of the Harry Miller Club.

• 5 months later...
If you get really stuck, and if you have reasonable workshop access and expertise, you can convert a similar mag from a 9 cylinder Wright Whirlwind R975 radial aero engine like Lindberg used on his first solo trans-Atlantic flight. You will have to make different rotor and distributer blocks. I would have done this for the 1921 Tipo 8 Isotta Fraschini if I had not found enough parts for a correct Bosch. You would have to check that the automatic advance actually advances for your application; and if not, reverse that. On the radials they used a booster coil for better starting; however the engines with American Bosch magnetos did not need that and the power output on the log sheets of the testing was about 4% higher than for engines with Bendix Scintilla. If you cannot find exactly what you are looking for I could find a Bendix 9 spark. I still have a very few brand new R975s in original boxes, too, if anyone needs one.

Hello Ivan

I m also looking for a VAG8 D3 8 Cyl Magneto...Do you still have the R975S? If so, how much they would cost? Do you have a picture?

Tks.!!

Fred