I REALLY wish someone made 1/4's

bb1970

I spent the afternoon replacing the section behind the wheel well on my 65's driverside 1/4 panel. It was pretty damn rusty. I cut a piece formed it welded it in. And the whole time I couldn't stop thinking. Why doesn't somebody make a patch panel? So many of these cars have rusted 1/4 panels. It seems like a sure thing money maker.

In Calvin Clark's last catalog, he asked if anyone would be interested. I told him yes and ordered one for each side, but the last time I talked with him, he told me that he hadn't received enough interest yet to pursue it.

Anyone who needs one now or thinks he may need one in the future should contact Calvin. If you look on page R-23 in his online catalog, you'll find his query.

Clark's Corvair Parts, Inc. - Corvair Parts Catalog - Over 12,000 parts

Or perhaps if enough of us would contact the owner of Classic Fabrications in South Carolina, he might be persuaded. He now makes the floor pans for the first generation and patch panels for the boat tails.

http://www.classicfabrication.com/

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I contacted Classics 2 Current Fabrications about rear 1/4's for the first generation Rivieras.

Here's the response I got from them. Ed

Ed,

We do not have the machinery currently up and running required to make the rear quarter patch panel, but expect to have it up within the next year or so.

Michael Laiacono

Classic 2 Current Fabrication LLC

www.c2cFabrication.com

• 1 year later...
Guest Kinmann

Agree!!! Patch panels for the quarters would sell as fast as floor boards! Any luck on this moving forward between any of the companies mentioned? I need a right rear behind the wheel replacement.

If any of you have or know of one, please email or call me 919-333-1045

Thanks,

Kevin

The following is in the latest CARS Catalog. Not sure what availability is but I will need the metal behind the rear wheel on both sides when I get to my body work.

Rear Quarter Patch Panels

1963-1964 Behind wheel, below moulding.

RP-634L............................(Left Hand) ...............$52.25 ea.

RP-634R............................(Right Hand).............$52.25 ea.

1963-1965 Front of wheel, below moulding.

RP-635L............................(Left Hand) ...............$52.25 ea.

RP-635R............................(Right Hand).............$52.25 ea.

1963-1964 Behind wheel, includes moulding crown.

RP-634LX.........................(Left Hand) ................$62.00 ea.

RP-634RX.........................(Right Hand) .............$62.00 ea.

1965 Behind wheel, below moulding.

RP-65L..............................(Left Hand)................$52.25 ea.

RP-65R..............................(Right Hand).............$52.25 ea.

1965 Behind wheel, includes moulding crown.

RP-65LX...........................(Left Hand) ................$62.00 ea.

RP-65RX...........................(Right Hand) .............$62.00 ea.

Guest Kinmann

Could be a winner! About time if so.... I was just looking tonight at an extra beat up door skin I saved and was looking at the curvature thinking with a little bending I could have bingo! But a correct/fitted piece is always worth $52.50!

• 9 months later...
Which begs the question................Why are they still in their catalog........

Because several years ago, they put them in the catalog to gauge interest. I can only assume there was not enough interest, which is why they were never made. Problem with our first gen Riv's is, there just wasn't enough of them made, and there is not enough people restoring them to make it all that worthwhile for manufactures to make parts, and actually turn a profit.

This is almost verbatim the reason that the owner of Classic Fabrications gave me when I asked him about it a couple of years ago. They still make replacement floor pans, but those don't require any expensive tooling. Calvin Clark has the same type query in his catalog. He too can't generate enough interest to create them. The tooling and R&D would be so expensive that in order to make a profit, we'd have to pay a fortune for them. And you know that ain't going to happen.

Ed