Packard Oil Can?

Guest 1959olds

Guest 1959olds

A freind of mine gave me a 1 gallon retangular can that resembles a kerosene spout on it. The front of the can has a Packard Emblem, and say's Packard Oil.

Then the bottom of the front of the can say's Havoline Oil Co.-Texas.

What was this can used for by Packard, and what would be the approx. age??

Hard to pinpoint a precise year as most mfgs had their own branding on such products back then -- much as they still do today. Here is a page out of a 55 accessory catalog where Packard for example, had their own branded oil in conventional one quart (shown) as well as 5 quart cans and any number of other products from radiator flush to wax to car wash to fabric cleaners to just about anything to bring an extra dollar to the dealer.

EDIT: You might be able to get an idea as to age from the print type. Here is another page from a 37 catalog.

post-43944-143138192109_thumb.jpg

post-43944-143138192123_thumb.jpg

Edited by HH56 (see edit history)

Guest 1959olds

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the can again last night, and it says "Packard Cylinder Oil". "The Havoline Company, New York".

Guest 1959olds

When he gave me the can, he said that he had two of them. I wouldn't part with mine, as it was a gift from a friend, but I know he is pretty strapped for cash these days and he would more than likely part with the other one.