A 59 Buick Remembered!

While going through the family home yesterday to rearrange it to allow home health care for my dad, I ran across an old billfold of mine from the early sixties. In it was a picture of my dad with the family 1959 Buick I have spoken of before on this site. The picture is circa 1961 with dad having used the Buick as a traveling salesman. Here he must have just driven up in our driveway and posed with the car and with his order book in hand. I just had to post it. Carla will post it in the next post. Charles-the car helped raise 5 boys as well.

Edited by Charles_Barnette (see edit history)

Guest Ctynes57

Here is my dad, CC Barnette, with his 1959 Buick Invicta 4-door hardtop (cir. 1961). Charles D. Barnette- This car apparently no longer exists.

post-61385-143138187644_thumb.jpg

Great photo, Charles! How about providing a little additional history of that fine '59, like when your dad saw it for the last time.

You had furnished this photo to me awhile back, and I'm trying to remember now whether this was a younger brother seated on the Invicta's front fender.

post-30629-143138187646_thumb.jpg

Brian, you were right; it is my younger brother David Barnette and the family cat named Cassieopeia-ottemaria (the name was longer than the cat). In 1965 Dad had traded the 59 for a new 1965 Pontiac Tempest. He thought that since the 59 Buick had 200,000 highway miles on it, it was time to trade or so he thought. However due to a strike involving GM, all dad could get was the Tempest sold to him new in Pittsburg, Texas. Shortly after the trade, while dad was driving the Tempest near Pittsburg, Texas, he spotted something white in his rearview mirror coming up fast. As it passed him, dad recognized that it was his faithful 59 Buick wiggling its tail fins at him one last time as it faded from view and into history before him. If dad could have caught the 59 that day, he would have traded for her back on the spot! Charles-I still shed a tear everytime I think about this story. Fortunately I now have "Copper Top"-the nearest I could come to getting back dad's 59.

Guest Ctynes57

Here is my brother, David, in 2009 with "Copper Top" along with his 14-year-old-son, Chase, instead of the family cat. Chase represents a new generation to be schooled on the values of the 1959 Buick. Charles D. Barnette

post-61385-143138187709_thumb.jpg

Guest mystarcollectorcar.com

those pictures sum up 50s suburbia plus that 59 Buick was a classic.I'm sure your dad had a real pang when that brute passed him.Great history.

• 1 month later...
Guest Ctynes57

My father passed away April 20, 2010, having been the original owner of a 1959 4-door Buick Invicta. In going through some of the personal photos at his home I ran across another picture of his 1959 Buick which I've asked Carla to post on this site. This picture would have been taken in 1961 or 1962.

post-61385-143138206606_thumb.jpg

Guest Straight eight
Modern suburbia in the fifties. 1947 Buick and GMI student.

A few years later after graduating from GMI

post-30843-143138209281_thumb.jpg