tire size Buick 90L

Guest nagene

Guest nagene

I have a Buick 90L and need to buy tires for it. When i bought it it had 800x15 inch tires on it. The covers for the fender wells will not fit over the tire. What size tire will fit this car and be able to put the covers over the tire.Thanks for any help.:P

This is not the answer you are looking for but why put new tires in the spares? Use the size you have that fits. Most people I have talked with say they would probably never use the spare from a side mount for several reasons.....

(1) the fear of scratching the cover or fender when gaining access to the spare.

(2) where do you lay the cover when you are on the side of the road changing tires?

(3) they are a pain to remove, and if you were to change one you must put the cover back on the flat or where do you put it?

the list goes on....

I carry a spare in the trunk and take it out when I show the car.... if you trailer the car it is even less of a problem.

Those 15 inch rims got me thinking, so I checked the standard catalog of Buick. It states that the 90 series only had 15 inch rims in 1942, its last year, and tire size was 7.00-15. But, of course, side mounts were history by then, so you've got the wrong size rims. Correct is probably 7.50-16. Modern tires in historic sizes tend to be wider than the originals, so even if you get the right rims and tires, there's no guarantee that even the right size will fit. Put a good spare in the trunk and leave the side mounts alone.

Guest nagene

Thanks for the info it makes sense. I have never had wheels that go in the fender wells. I will just buy Five new tires. I have a chart that says a 1936

Buick Century used a 700x15 inch tire. Thanks again for the help.

• 1 month later...

Be warned - the new tires, even the bias-ply tires that are supposed to replace the original tires, are LARGER than the originals. I bought a new 7.50 x 16" spare to match the tires on my '39 Model 90, and it WILL NOT FIT in the sidemount well. I agree that it is best to keep old tires in the sidemount wells to hold the covers, and keep your good spare in the trunk. Even the bigger replacement tire does fit in my trunk (it's a squeeze) so that works for me.