***EXHAUST***

Guest Justin224

Guest Justin224

I've read a lot of posts regarding the camaro muffler installation, but really haven't seen any questions answered about specific models that will work properly, and produce a desirable/pleasing sound both inside, and out of the car....

Doing a product search for 90-02 Camaro mufflers on Flowmaster's website, the only match shown is the 80-series. Is this what you all have used? I've heard that the higher you go in the 'series', the quieter the tone. I'm looking for a moderate-aggressive sound, just to give it some *UMPH*, but definitely nothing crazy to make the drive unpleasant. My only real concern besides the tone is that the dimensions for the 80-series reads: 25 in. x 9.75 in. x 4.5 in. ...and from older posts I see that an 1989 Reatta's muffler is 22.5 in x 10.75 in. (and I just used Flowmaster as a basis, I'm not against Magnaflow, Dynamax, or anything else that produces good results)

Any thoughts or help on what series/model works best for our cars?

Guest Justin224

Yeah, I actually have that bookmarked. Very helpful & I keep going back to it when I need to... Actually I'll give my thanks to you now because I used that site for a lot of different needs... But unless I'm just not seeing it, I was trying to see what specific products other people have used and found to be great on the Reatta. I.e., like the 80-series, 60-series, and so on... I imagine some have installed very aggressive mufflers and others wanted something quiet and not far off from stock. I just haven't seen that anywhere else on here. I.E, product you used = what kind of tone it produces and what's the volume level produced inside the car while driving? Thanks

Guest Telco

A muffler is a muffler is a muffler. The Reatta is supposed to use the same exhaust setup as the Riviera, except the Riviera long straight pipe is longer, from what I've gathered on this site. The Riviera uses a muffler that is 21 inches long, 4.25 inches thick, and 9.75 inches wide. My 89 Reatta uses a 2.25 inch diameter pipe from the combiner on (catalytic converter dropped the snout on me last week, and a 2.25 inch bypass fit perfectly). So, any muffler that more or less matches the size listed above will work. Whether it sounds good or not is another story.

For mine, I've ordered a Walker Quiet Flow muffler, part number 22354, and a new catalytic converter. When it comes in, I plan to have a new 2.5 inch exhaust put in from the collector back. This muffler has a dual 2.25 inch outlet. The muffler is also 19 inches long as opposed to 21 inches long which will allow the dual outlets to fit perfectly. I've used many Walkers in the past, they sound pretty good and are OEM quiet. I'll post up the results after the system goes in.

Further reading on this site or Ronnie's site suggest that performance gains can be made by going to the Riviera exhaust from the manifolds all the way back. It would be 2.5 inches which should improve the air you can remove and thus help the flow in a bit. I am guessing the newer bigger intake would help too, but soon your adding heads and everything else and may as well go to the supercharged model. If you don't enlarge it from the motor all the back, you probably aren't going to see much gain in performance. My whole system is getting old, so that is what I plan to do if I can find a decent donor Riviera.