WEll it happened, someone used my car to stop his instead his brakes

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

And since the impact knocked my foot off my brake pedal the front of my car changed the shape of the car in front. The car that hit me, a late 80's firebird had the front grill broken and pushed in. Damage to Reatta, None. Damage to Nissan something in front of me bumper cover tore and bent bottom of trunk lid. Damage to Reatta , None. The person driving the firebired was carted off for DWI, no valid DL, ETC. When I got home I carefully checked the trunk operation and body gaps, all perfect. Same for the front bumper, I did wipe off the front rubber strip. One heck of a car. Makes me want to park it and find another daily driver.

I love Miami. well i used too.:(

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

Richard -

So glad you are ok, and the car held it's own. Quite remarkable, given the Reatta's low height (relative to most current vehicles) and sloped hood that the front end was undamaged. Glad the drunken doofus got carted off, but of course he will probably be back at it soon (if Florida is anything like Missouri, DWI's are revolving door justice) so be careful out there. I do kinda get a chuckle out of the damage to the Nissan you described. That'll set the owner back at least $1500 for a rear bumper and paint work. You could buy a whole Reatta for that money.

I understand your reluctance to use your Reatta as a daily driver. I have mine to the point where I almost get worried to take it out, with so much time and money wrapped up in it. Yet, I can't bring myself to drive an old beater; I've gotten spoiled with nicer cars so I can't just buy some old rust bucket to use for bumper car duty on the mean streets.

KDirk

Richard,

Take Craig's advice above and take it to a Good body shop. Some of your gaps may look the same, but the supporting structure can still be off / pushed in. I experienced this with the rear end collision on my coupe....it is hard to tell unless the car is actually put on a frame machine and measured.

You didn't mention any personal damage which is good news....

Edited by nic walker
need to learn how to spell "take" and leave the s off :( (see edit history)

The metro Mad-Town area seems to be hard on Reattae. Craig's been nailed a couple times, I bought Rick Klann's after it was clobbered, and Notamekanik lost all 4 rear sub-frame mounting bolts out on US12, and Panikmekanik took out a 140 lb. buck with hers, with minimal damages, and no injuries - except the deer, who was DOA.

I'm pleased to hear your Lil' Tank got the best of those 2 bread-boxes, and without personal injury to you.

Guest Richard D

My only complaint was a sore neck which later turned into a migraine. I will take the advice and have the bumper mounts, dimensions, etc. checked. Just to be safe, he of course has no insurance but State Farm says no problem, they will tke care of any damage (after deductable) and will go after the driver that was ticketed/jailed.

Guest mhuffy

I lived in Miami for 13 years. I think I would park my Reattas and find a full size tank as a daily driver. I actually got rear-ended twice in one day down there.

Glad you and the car survived.

Marc

Guest Richard D

Car's structure checks out just fine, He also checked the seals where the cowling meets the shock towers, no movement and in the trunk where the trunk pan meets quarter panels and all dimensions are within factory specs. It looks like I will meet factory specs as well after a week or so.

Regards,

Richard