Convertible top motor

Nostalgic Dave

Googling and checking on eBay, I see that there are a few different manufacturers reproducing convertible top motors for 59-60 GM cars, specifically, for my '60 Buick. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with a reproduction motor? I've got my original and could have it rebuilt, or even try rebuilding myself.... It won't spin inside the hydraulic side, and the motor side was full of fluid (doh!). Thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks!

Guest Skyking
... It won't spin inside the hydraulic side, and the motor side was full of fluid (doh!). Thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks!

I had two with the same issue. I took them apart, cleaned all the motor & brushes up, replaced the "o" ring and both worked like new.

What Skyking said. I "rebuilt" two of them. Usually it's a matter of new "O" rings and cleaning. If you figure you have to buy a new one anyway give repairing yours a shot. They are pretty simple and the "O" rings are stock items..............Bob

From what I've seen, the motors being sold for older convertibles are really later-model pump motors adapted to the earlier lines and such. They do look "different" from the OEM production items.

It might also be good to make sure that the o-rings are rated to seal the convertible top fluid of choice that will be in your system. This might extend the life of the repair as the o-rings should last longer than a common o-ring might--they might look the same but the rubber composition can be different.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll try to rebuild it... as bhigdog mentioned, what do I have to lose? The most expensive reproduction unit is from Late Great Chevy, and it looks virtually identical to the original. The other two units I've found (on eBay) are roughly the same size, but the motor side is a bit different... although, mounting bracket locations, hose outlet, etc all looks to be the same so are probably installation-ready. The units on eBay are 220 bux or so, the one at LGC is nearly 300 bux, oophf! Def worth a try at rebuilding it!

Guest 70 Electra
...It might also be good to make sure that the o-rings are rated to seal the convertible top fluid of choice that will be in your system. This might extend the life of the repair as the o-rings should last longer than a common o-ring might--they might look the same but the rubber composition can be different...

This is good advice! The original fluid was brake fluid, and the original rubber parts were not compatible with petroleum fluids, like the ATF that is often used in hydraulic systems.

If you plan to use ATF (to avoid associated problems that brake fluid causes), then be certain that all seals in pump and cylinders, and the hoses, are compatible with the fluid.

Guest Skyking

I don't know where (can't remember) I got the O ring for my 62 Buick, but it's going on 21 years and everythings still fine without any leaks.

Guest Ric's62

How is it to repair the top lift cylinders? I also would like to have my motor and cylinders rebuilt, because the original ones (from my special deluxe), seem to be much heavier duty made than the aftermarket ones i took out of the skylark. I haven't looked closely to see how the cylinders are assembled or if i can dis-assemble them. Otherwise, can anybody recommend a reliable rebuilder?

Thanks, Rick

I am going to buy a rebuild kit from these guys.... 1959-1960 Buick Invicta Convertible Tops and Convertible Top Parts. Kit includes new bushings, all the correct O-rings, etc.. no worries about multiple trips to the store or getting the wrong o-ring rubber compound.

Rick, on the lift cylinder rebuild, I would imagine that any hydraulics outfit could do the job.

I am going to buy a rebuild kit from these guys.... 1959-1960 Buick Invicta Convertible Tops and Convertible Top Parts. Kit includes new bushings, all the correct O-rings, etc.. no worries about multiple trips to the store or getting the wrong o-ring rubber compound.

Rick, on the lift cylinder rebuild, I would imagine that any hydraulics outfit could do the job.

That's actually not a bad buy. You would have near half that buying the stuff onesy twosy but you most likely won't need to replace the bushings and unless they are obviously worn i would reccomend you don't. Good luck with it.......Bob