2010 Packards

vintageride

I debated whether I should post these photos since they are slightly OT.

Nonetheless, I believe folks may be interested in them. These automobiles were scratch built vehicles that competed at the 2010 Autorama in Detroit this past weekend.

One was a Packard themed coupe built by Fran Roxas and powered with an actual Packard V12, the other automobile was a convertible based loosely on the 30s and 40s Packards.

Vintageride

post-56114-143138180414_thumb.jpg

post-56114-143138180418_thumb.jpg

post-56114-143138180423_thumb.jpg

post-56114-143138180427_thumb.jpg

post-56114-143138180431_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting, and identifying them up front as scratch built. Would like to see more of the red open car - any chance that is the one built by Roxas?? Seems to be a little more in line with what I would expect but the other one does look to be Packard powered. Very interesting...

I regret that i did not take more photos during the event. I was just not expecting to see the Packards.

The bronze car is the Roxas car and the convertible is the car from Ohio. Here are a few more photos, including closeup shots of the Packard engine in the Roxas car. Reportedly, the Roxas car was bored to about 500 cubic inches. I do know of someone that bored his Packard twelve out to approximately that size back in the '50s.

Many of my photos are out of focus, as is the photo shown below of the front of the convertible. Perhaps someone knows who built the convertible and if are there plans to power it with a Packard engine.

Vintageride

post-56114-143138180992_thumb.jpg

post-56114-143138180996_thumb.jpg

post-56114-1431381810_thumb.jpg

post-56114-143138181004_thumb.jpg

post-56114-143138181007_thumb.jpg

Fran did indeed bore the Packard a little bit. It wouldn't take much of an increase to make it 500cid, as it already had a displacement of 445.5 c.i. (It's a 1934, Pete)

Everything on the top of that engine is new, including the hc heads, intake and exhausts.

The car took a second place for the highly coveted Riddler Award.

The Roxas car appeared to have a modified version of these cylinder heads. They are pricey, but you can spend allot of time and money working with heads that are "nearly perfect".

Automobile Castings

They are offering other heads for Packard and other makes of cars. I wonder in they plan on making the 359 head for the '54 Packard.

It seems like the insert bearings offered on the 1935 and up would be better to work with as well.

Vintageride

I haven't talked with Fran specifically on this yet, but I understand he was looking for update parts from later V12s, so it's probably got a lot of stuff from a lot of places. I'll give him a call and see if he's got time to elaborate a little bit. I'm sure he's very proud of this car. I know I would be.

Guest cben09

Another trivia point on the 12,,,The head [gasket surface] is NOT,,,repeat,,NOT at right angle to the bore,,,Be sure to put a wedge under the boring bar,,,It can be a real nasty mistake,,, Motto,,,hire a Packard mechanic,,,Cheers Ben

Guest cben09

Hi,,,The wedge combustion chamber,,years ahead of mopar,was brilliant,, this was early form of squish chamber,,but that detail of the non right angle bore is not [?] known to so many Packard enthuasts,,I have heard nasty storys over the years,, Yes these cars are fun to run,,I had, over the years, a 32 phaeton,a 33 7p sedan a 34 5p sedan,,we on occasion would race a XK-120 from the lights at the base of the Rt2 hill at Belmont, about 2 mi west of Harvard Sq,,The trick was to start in 2nd gear,,as the syncro's were slow to act,,so if one started in lo,,it was best to go thru' the syncro twice before shoving it into second,,,same for hi,,all this usually with a full car,,Fun,,,Cheers Ben

• 2 weeks later...
I just met with Fran. The engine is a 1937, with a bunch of earlier stuff on it. Pete has a sharp eye.

He does have a sharp eye. Good call.

Did Mr. Roxas provide more information? Is there an article or photo feature available for the car? I would like to hear more about the car.

What was his inspiration? How did it come together? ...and so on.

Vintageride