Do you have to remove a Dynaflow on a 51 Buick to seal the torque ball?

our51super

I read the shop manual but didn't catch that part I guess. If you know more about it can you tell me if there's anything tricky about it. Are there any hidden say ...springs or clips or ...? Also in the shop manual they show a specialty tool to drive in a seal of sorts which I don't have. Can the sealing job be accomplished without any specialty tools? I just replaced the rear springs too so I wish I would have thought of doing this then seeing how the rear end was dangling anyway. So when you disonnect the torque tube does that give you clear access to the U-Joint? Just trying to avoid some pitfalls.<P>Thanks,<P>------------------<BR>Crin & Teresa Dima<BR>BCA # 37114

The shims are paper gaskets in varying thicknesses. They are available from Bobs Automobilia.<BR> You can use a broomstick instead of the "official" Buick tool. The rear end does not need to be completly removed, but it does make it easier. check the bushing that the U-joint fits into for wear while you are in the torque ball area. If the torque ball assy does not look like the one in the shop manual...it may be the "upgraded" version (read ..recall)<BR> hope this helps a little

I had the same problem on my '51 Buick last summer. I did not have to remove the transmission. I was told it may be an easy job, but it turned out to be very difficult and I finally hired a garage to do it. They had to remove the whole rear axle assembly. When I tried to avoid that step, I could only separate the torque ball from the trans a couple of inches, not enough to clear. <BR>Good luck