1930 body mounts?

Dwight Romberger

Dwight,

I believe there was some other posting on this site about the welting. I do know there is a problem with some of the material when you do an outside radius.

I have to find out, if some one else does not respond, but I do not now recall the name of the other material that is now used between the body and frame.

John

Dwight,

Due to the fact that I just removed the rear fender from my 1930 Model 68, I may be able to help to some degree with the fender welt issue. As far as I know my fender still has much the original welt still attached. Notice the 'V' cuts in the welt in the attached picture. That is an old upholsters trick that allows one to attach a sheet of fabric over a curved surface when the dimension of the outer edge is different from the inner without bunching up (which I guarantee it will do every time). Apparently the folks at the buick factory used the same technique when applying the welt.

Thanks,

post-63406-143138176141_thumb.jpg

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

John,

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that there was nothing wrong with the welt, but rather a problem with it's application. Without making the appropriate cuts, the problem you describe is very likely to occur. Keep in mind the bead itself is the only thing we are really interested in. The rest just serves as a medium to attach the beaded edge.

Thanks,

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)